Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

New Intercooler Concern (Your opinion will help!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 PM
HCF Member
Default New Intercooler Concern (Your opinion will help!)

Hello everyone, I haven't posted here in quite some time since my turbo hatch was totaled due to a rear end collision. When my car got smashed in the back it shot forward into the car in front of mine which warped the **** out of my intercooler/rad. Since then I got a new body and am looking forward to swapping the boosted engine.
My old JohnnyRaceCar (JRC) intercooler was 36" x 6.5" x 2.5". It's pretty damn hard to find an intercooler that long without having a massive 10"+ height. The intercooler that I'm looking to buy now is 27"x6"x2.5". This intercooler is 9" shorter than my last one which leaves 4.5" of space on each side between my charge piping. I have made a diagram to show you what it will look like:

So my question is, would it be ok to connect the intercooler/piping together using a 5" long silicone coupler on each end? I can't seem to think of any reason why this would be a problem if the intercooler has some supports helping to hold its weight up? Would the long couplers be more prone to blowing off the piping?
The other way it would have to be done is I could weld 4" piece of piping on each side then use a regular size coupler. What would be the recommended solution and if I weld piping would it be best to weld it to the intercoolers inlet/outlet or onto my charge piping?

All your suggestions will be very much appreciated!

Last edited by bcrichguitars; 02-17-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 AM

You could just try getting extension piping for each side and use two couplers to hold each piece on...

Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 AM
HCF Member

less couplers the better. I say you weld on the extra needed length and just use 2 couplers and 2 clamps instead 4 of each.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Cat Fuсker

Don't use long couplers, that's asking for trouble. weld extensions to the current charge piping.