Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

No Boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:26 AM
HCF Member
Default No Boost

Setup-So everything is done with mysetup except for the tune. I have a D16Y8 for those ofyou that don't know. I'm running a 14b/hf manifold, jrc intercooler, customic pipes, knock off greddy bov (little leak, but not sure if thats the problem), golden eagle vacuum manifold, rc 310's,wastegate actuatoris 9-11 psi, hallmanes boost controller turned all the way down. I havemy boost gauge hooked up to my vacuum manifold as in the pic below.

Problem-When it idles its at 20inhg.and if I rev it quite a bit it will go up toabout0 or atmespheric pressure on the gauge, but no boost. I'm almost 100% positive that all my clamps are tight and that they're not leaking. My bov is leaking, I think it's sucking air in. I bought it used so I have no clue how to adjust it. Any suggestions? should I hook up a check valve to my boost line so that it only reads boost, or did I just mess it up?

Name:  100_0594.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  152.8 KB

Old 01-16-2008, 11:36 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: No Boost

are u stopped when you rev? Like have you driven it? I dont know if boost registers when you're idling/not moving

Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Cat Fuсker

You might not see boost until there's load on the engine. You might have a weak spring in the bov.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:03 PM

you need to put it under load to make enough exhaust gas to spool the turbo. but i would get it tuned before you try to make any boost

Old 01-16-2008, 12:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: MY99SI

you need to put it under load to make enough exhaust gas to spool the turbo. but i would get it tuned before you try to make any boost
+1, i'd disconnect a piece of my charge piping if i was you (if you're driving to the tuner) and then hook it up once you're at the tuner. Boost would not be good on a basemap

Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 PM
HCF Member

I see... no im not moving when I rev the engine, so that could be why I'm not registering boost. The weird thing is that the bov will blow off a lot of air when I let off the gas. I don't plan on driving it to the tuner,I have a trailer I can use. I can't really take it out for a drive right noweven ifI wanted to test it because it's kinda blocked in the barn. I did have it hookedup to my emanage when I was testing it(not tuned), becausewith just the ecu it ran like totalchit. But that thing is a piece ofcrap and I'mgoing for a chipped p28, possibly hondata.

If I do have a weak spring in my bov, where can I find a new spring? or do I have to buy a whole new bov?

Also, should I put a check valve on my boost gauge so it only reads boost?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:06 PM

the reason your hearing the bov make noise is b/c the turbo is still moving air into the engine.. and when it opens (bov) the air goes out that way.

i'de go with hondata.. thats from personal experience.. i've used it on numerous cars and have been happy with the ease of tuning and its really easy to use.

you want to be able to read vacuum also just incase you have a vacuum leak.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:45 PM
HCF Member

I guess I don't understand how the turbo can move air into the engine but no make boost? If you could elaborate a little more...

I had another off topic question that i'll throw out there, do I need the check valve (in the pic ^^) for my map sensor? I thought thats how the engine knew how much fuel to add. Thanks for the info so far!

by the way my99si, I see that you're located in lima, oh. lol, thats funny cause I'm up in defiance. I go to the university of northwestern.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:22 PM

here is some good advice for yous. gotowww.gvr4.com/.... search for how to make a boost leak test. It will cost you all of a whole 5-7 dollars to make. It is worth it. I sold my boosted zx3 focus cause all of the damn boost leaks i couldnt find. The guy i sold it to did this simple fix 3 days after he bought it. it now runs in the 12's with him putting no money in it. he just fixed all the leaks.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:40 PM

You won't make boost freerevving the engine. Boost will close the BOV.

Get it tuned before you try and boost.

Quick Reply: No Boost