Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

piston rings fried, going for rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Default piston rings fried, going for rebuild

so after about 2000 miles on the turbo kit on my b16, piston rings have gone. i figured this would happen soon enough. so now i figure, since im gonna go ahead and have to tear apart the block to replace the rings, why not go all out and go ahead and build it up? JE pisons and rings, Eagle H Beam rods and new main bearings. what do you guys think?
- John

Old 11-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: piston rings fried, going for rebuild

sounds good but if you want the best pistons money can buy go with cp pistons, only the ebst for my build. je's are good also if you dont want to spend the money on cp's

Old 11-12-2006, 07:17 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

sounds good for pistons and rods

make sure you get 9:1 compression pistons.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Sleepin95CivicDX

so after about 2000 miles on the turbo kit on my b16, piston rings have gone. i figured this would happen soon enough. so now i figure, since im gonna go ahead and have to tear apart the block to replace the rings, why not go all out and go ahead and build it up? JE pisons and rings, Eagle H Beam rods and new main bearings. what do you guys think?
- John

How do you know the piston rings are gone? If you've lost power/compression it could be any number of things. Have you run a compression or leakdown test?

Old 11-13-2006, 10:01 PM

well, i havent done a compression test yet, but considering there's an extreme amount of smoke billowing out of my exhaust when i drive, and i can hear one piston misfiring, i know that it must be the ring. so saturday morning im paying my friend to replace all the rings and the main bearings, then also getting a new head gasket on for 550. unfortunately, i dont quite have enough money to complete the full build, so i guess i'll have to wait another couple months for that. just tired of driving around in a cloud of smoke, lol. thanks for the help guys, i'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

oil smoke can mean a few things on a turbo car and not neccesarily the rings. a miss fire can be caused by you burning oil and fouling the plugs as well. find someone who can do a leak down test on the engine before you bother tearing it apart. it will only be a waste of time and money if you tear the motor apart only to find out the turbo seals went bad causing the excessive smoke and possibly the miss fires.always small easy steps first before major overhauls.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:37 PM

well, another things that leads me to believe that its the piston rings is that when i open the oil cap on the valve cover, after the cars been running, smoke escapes out of it. the turbo seals could be out though, you're right, i need to checkt hem out. i'll get the compression test and leakdown done on saturday before we try anything. thanks for the help guys!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

No offense man, but it sounds to me like you have no idea what you're talking about. Try and find someone with some serious car knowledge to take a look at it. Tearing apart the block on a hunch is ridiculous

Old 11-14-2006, 11:13 AM
HCF Member

Do a compression and leakdown and you wont play the guessing game anymore. If you are losing your rings I would highly reccomend you have the bottom end built like a ****. Im currently doing the same as we speak.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:28 AM
HCF Member

if your car fails a comression test try putting a little oil in the cylinder if the compression goes up to a passing level then most likly it is your rings.

Quick Reply: piston rings fried, going for rebuild