Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

pros and cons of dry nitro

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 08:30 PM
HCF Member
Default pros and cons of dry nitro

i was thinkin to get a dry kit just for the **** of it and to have some fun.........am i going to **** up my car with a "50" shot? let me kno about ur experiences.

Old 04-03-2005, 09:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: pros and cons of dry nitro

first, its nitrous (nitrous oxide if your techincal), not nitro

second, personally, i dont have the exp. w/ nitrous your askin for...but ive done the research

basically...a dry nitrous system means you inject the N2O into the air intake seperately from the feul. wet nitrous systems mix it in with the gas to create a homogeneous (if you refer back to your basic high school chemistry) cloud. now, there are some advantages and disadvantages w/ dry nitrous. Dry nitrous is MUCH easier and faster to install than a wet nitrous system and you can get the same boost advantages as a wet nitrous system. Now before you go dialing to the nearest NOS or ZEX dealer, consider this: dry nitrous systems are much more dangerous than wet. because it isnt mixed with the feul, it can explode in your intake and destroy parts of your engine.

personally, im going w/ the NOS Sportsman Fogger system (fogger being a fancy name for 'wet') because even though its more time consuming to install, its much much safer

now dont get me wrong, nitrous oxide is dangerous no matter what way you use it (hell...driving in general is dangerous), but if you dont want your hood blowing off and crashing through your windshield on prom night when your trying to show your **** to your woman (ok that prolly wouldnt happen :P)...it'd b much better going with a wet system

now, about if your going to **** up your car...it depends on what engine it is, how many miles are on it, what components (if any) you've upgraded in your engine. you should prolly consider investing in racing rods or maybe a stroker kit before you look at too much nitrous

Old 04-03-2005, 11:05 PM
HCF Member

what motor and model car do you have? that could change the answer a little.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:55 PM
HCF Member

Nail13unny not to be rude but im very aware its Nitrous....i was just abbreviating. i kno the basics wet is spliced in with fuel dry is in intake.......dry setup is what id do cuz it is easily installed..........ive got a 94 Ex........but my ****ing tranny is Auto. im not goin to have all my turbo money for a bit so i wanna do something for the time being just to have some fun.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:56 PM
HCF Member

now dont get me wrong, nitrous oxide is dangerous no matter what way you use it (hell...driving in general is dangerous), but if you dont want your hood blowing off and crashing through your windshield on prom night when your trying to show your **** to your woman (ok that prolly wouldnt happen :P)...it'd b much better going with a wet system
ever see nitrous loading and then kaboom with direct port all it takes is a little bit of fuel to puddle up in the manifold and ignite. IMO it doesnt matter enough if your running a mild shot. like stated above either way will wear your engine down.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:15 AM
HCF Member

from what ive heard a 50 shot isnt much thou.......ive got 70K on the motor.....and an AEM cai.....thats about it.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:32 AM
HCF Member

do a compression test to check the condition of your rings, then if that checks out ok, get a set of spark plugs one heat range colder than stock. but not iridiums, actually, you might even consider stock old copper ones, just make sure its a heat range or two colder. that will help fend off detonation. iridiums, and i believe the small tippied plats, will melt very quickly in an engine that is running N2O, because the cylinder temps are WAY higher than normal, or even under boost. also, as an added precaution, retard the ignition timing to about 14-15 BTDC. and when you are planning on juicing, make sure you have premium fuel. with all those precautions taken, a 50 shot dry should be no sweat. though its over-rated in my experience. youll like it better if you save up and get a turbo sooner. but i know thats not what you wanted to hear.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:39 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sacicons

do a compression test to check the condition of your rings, also, as an added precaution, retard the ignition timing to about 14-15 BTDC.

ok how do i go about doing this.........ive got basic knowledge just need the how to part, and tools list.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:44 AM
HCF Member

youll need a timing light and a compression tester. they are available at most auto parts place. and just get a haynes manual, it will help a ton in the long run. other than that, its basic hand tools.

Old 04-04-2005, 12:49 AM
HCF Member

ive got the manual.......just take into consideration this car has 70K. but i got it from my grandmother.........like she would drive to church and ****.....always had it maintained at Honda dealers this thing was BABIED>..........so i dont wanna take ne risks......but say i get new plugs (zex) or whatever................is a 50 shot going to **** my **** up in the long run.........if its a risk i jsut wont do nitro ill just wait for my turbo money.

Quick Reply: pros and cons of dry nitro