Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

super charger installtion question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Default RE: super charger installtion question

no, i was talking to 90civterga and we were talking about running 20 or so, if i bored the entire engine and what not, and i was curious what is the difference in horsepower, i know to run it low on stock internals, no intercooler on a jackson racing supercharger? cause 90civterga, kevin said a intake would be of no use

Old 09-03-2005, 10:51 AM

nevermind, been searching around and i'm now leaning towards a turbo, thanks for the input guys

Old 09-03-2005, 03:46 PM
HCF Member

I have heard of some mythical 11 sec Civic out there running 20 piunds on a SC, but I have never seen it and the website is defunct.

20 pounds would be ridiculous on a turbo too.

There are certainly advantages and disadvantages of both and I'm not gonna get into them, but why go turbo when you had your mind set on a SC?

In the JR set-up, the SC is the intake manifold. The less the pressure has to travel, the more you can keep the heat down and boost up.

Well, in theory I beleive that the scavenging effects of my header is sucking some of the boost right through the cylinder, and/or the lack of backpressure doesn't allow boost to build. There is a guy on another forum with the exact same set-up except that he has his stock exhaust manifold and 2.25" cat-back and he is running 9 pounds to my 6. Also, Polo told me that he and his buddy have the same set-up, except exhaust, and they are 2 pounds different but the same performance-wise.

Yes, the vortech is centrifugal. Sweet set-up.

10psi @ 10:1cr and you would be pwning.

Old 09-03-2005, 05:28 PM

Sniper, back to this "high-flow exhaust" problem......are you saying that with a SC it might be better to run with more of a stock-like exhaust, than a high-flow exhaust?

Old 09-03-2005, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

I dont' know really, but I am thinking of putting the stock exhaust manifold back on to test my theory. Polo said that the lack of backpressure makes up for loss of boost and he and his buddy run side by side, but that guy with my set-up and stock manifold is putting down 180's to the wheels.

I documented the fact that I lost a little in the quarter when I put my header on. It's worth a shot. It would only take me 30 minutes to find out.

Also, JR says in their instructions and on their website that Intakes, headers, and chips, even a cam does nothing to improve upon the SC's output, and I think they would know.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

Yes, the vortech is centrifugal. Sweet set-up.
you can run an intercooler with a centrifugal setup

Old 09-04-2005, 12:22 AM
HCF Member

yeah, but you get an even peakier powerband than you would with a turbo, and dont have the adjustability. sure, throttle response and the lowest of low rpm torque will be better, but a turbo honda needs revs anyway, so keep it above 2500-3k, and a T-25 would stay spooled nicely. and make more top end than a centrifugal SC.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:54 AM
HCF Member

Sniper, you have come a long way young grasshopper.

One of the downsides to a roots style blower is that there is a sweet spot, and it's usually at a pretty low boost level. Low meaning 15ish max most of the time... so running 20psi on a JR blower will just lose hp and add more heat to the intake temps, surely causing detonation. Roots blowers cant be intercooled, but just run water injection... it does the same thing. The only thing you mentioned is that s/c boost and turbo boost are different... actually, boost is boost period. The only difference being that turbo boost surges and s/c boost is pretty constant.

Sniper, what's that all about? Can you clue us in a bit more about the "free flowing exhaust" deal? Thanks
It's true and not really sure why. My setup for example:

totally stock im running 7.5psi.
Adding only an intake increases my boost to 9.5 psi and I get approx a 13hp gain.
Adding only a header decreases my boost to 6 psi and i get approx a 18hp gain.
adding both puts me at 9 psi and i'm running 38hp over the blower stock.
So, the boost varies, but the added HP is still there.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

Holy crap. You I/H got you 38Hp? Where is the love?

Man, I need a tune.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

flywheel power, butyeah. My header was designed specifically for my blower. the intake just ups the air/fuel... together they are a well oiled machine