Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Tons Of Questions.....V.imman00b.....duh!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Default Tons Of Questions.....V.imman00b.....duh!

Ok, ive always like the 93-2000ish body style of civics, also 1993-97 accords, and 97ish preludes

So, when i get my tax returns next year (yeah very far off, but i have my mind made on which route)

This is what i want:

300hp at the wheels
civic/prelude/accord (if accord i want a wagon of the year listed)
turbo, im not a big fan of F.I. but if i had to to reach that 300hp wheel goal, i will
i want a dam strong engine
i dont drive crazy all the time, nor do i race all the time, so my driving habbits are go fast off the lights and tease people
and race here and there
lots of stop and go traffic where i am at
and its hot summers and not too too cold winters, hella humid where i am
oh and I WILL BE USING AUTO TRANS!

with that said, i guess i have 3 options
1) buy it already done
2) buy it, mod it at a shop
3) buy car, slowly upgrade as i go

now, my questions for you guys

1) which is the most cost effective, 300hp engine, or F/I turbo/sc?
2) in a humid sub 100deg summer, is turbo/sc going to go bad?
3) i understand most engines dont go over 100k with F/I, so how much would it cost to get an engine there?
4) what engine should i use? should i pick parts? heads from blah blah engine, block from blah blah engine?
5) im a big computer nerd, always a fan of looks of cars, never got into engines or mech work, so i will have to pay
what would something like this cost me? do shops offer discounts for big spenders?
6) will this car last?
7) if i go turbo/sc, whats the worst mistake i can do?

i guess thats it.....

Old 06-02-2008, 06:37 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Tons Of Questions.....V.imman00b.....duh!

Put on your flame suit.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

As far as turbo goes, with an automatic not many people have had good results. Especially for that goal you prolly shouldn't turbo, your transmission just wont hold up.

So now your looking at all motor, N/A (naturally aspirated). Which means doing internal work inside your engine. Depending on the car you get cause engine bays are dif sizes, bigger with accords of some years than civics. You got dif choices for engines. for civics a k20 swap is the best, but not the easiest. stock it comes with around 200hp, it's going to take a lot of work even for this engine for you to get 300hp. Your prolly have to get the head port & polished, more aggresive cams, upgraded pistons and rods, a good header (over $500), aftermarket catback exhaust, air intake. These are just a few things to think about.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

1) Automatic = Fail.
2) Honestly, if you would want to buy a modded civic with all the work done for you.. I pity you, thats no Honda Enthusiast.
3) Research, buy some books, build your car yourself.
4) Modding yourself will save you ALOT of money.. Labor is insane at shops. Or befriend a mechanic and have him help you.
5) Turbo is the best way to go, and with a good tune it will get you far.
6) I prefer Nitrous too, its cheap, and if you know how to read plugs and know how to 'tune' it, you'll go far.
7) If you go turbo, the worste thing you can do is let some idiot tune it and **** it up to hell, or run too high boost.

Without further adu.. Please, PLEASE research and maybe you'll be able to answer some of your questions. If you can't answer most of them yourself, then I honestly don't think you should be tuning, or modifying cars.

Like they say Don't jump into something without knowing or refraining some knowledge about it.. Thats like saying I wanted to be all "Hay, I wanna build a car with this and that, and have no idea whats better."

Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 PM
HCF Member

Why don't youjust get a manual?

Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: macbeth18288

Why don't youjust get a manual?
health reasons, no im not missing an arm

ok,
1) Automatic = Fail.
2) Honestly, if you would want to buy a modded civic with all the work done for you.. I pity you, thats no Honda Enthusiast.
3) Research, buy some books, build your car yourself.
4) Modding yourself will save you ALOT of money.. Labor is insane at shops. Or befriend a mechanic and have him help you.

1) thats fine, ill get laughed at im sure, but its medical reasons i cannot shift
2) because i want it the way i want it, and if its half way there, why not? i never said i was an enthusiast, i just like the way they look and want it to at least keep up with mustang gt's or any v8 there of i guess? something fast, fun, and great on gas when im not flooring it.
3) im into computers, i never read a book, and i can build one, but it took killing one computer to learn, computers are 1-2k at most, then ones i built were 800 dollars if that.......we are talking 10k and under.....
4) i honestly dont have the time, if i took it to a shop, id at least get a somewhat ball park dead line yes?
at least i know while im working they are working on it?

To Live_4it:

ok i decided, i want a honda accord wagon (sorry you civic luvrz )
should i go to a honda accord forum or is a lot of people here experinced with engine swaps?

what engine should i swap into a 1995-6ish honda wagon to get near/around 300hp at the wheel?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:40 PM
HCF Member

Heres an engine list, keep in mind this is hp not whp, not meaning power at the wheels. There is no honda engine that comes with 300 hp at the wheels unless it's an NSX.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_131941/tm.htm

Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned

is it even possible to have that kind of power with an automatic trans?

Old 06-03-2008, 05:50 PM
HCF Member

Auto transmissions are good up to 400whp as long as you don't have vtec.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

Haha, i'm gonna pull up a seat.
THis one is going to be good

Quick Reply: Tons Of Questions.....V.imman00b.....duh!