Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo 92 CIVIC DX

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Default Turbo 92 CIVIC DX

Just wanted to tell people a little about my car. To start out with it's a 1992 Honda Civic Dx with the stock block 1.5l engine and a 5 speed transmission. The car has been threw a lot and I have owned it since I was 15 and now I'm 19. The car started out with simple mods such as cold air intake and thrush turbo muffler. Then it got a nitrous kit with a 50 shot of nitrous, then shortly after I got my first job I relised it cost to much to keep filling the nitrous bottle. So I sold the nitrous kit and slowly started to build up a turbo kit.

But then I lost my job and ended up selling my whole turbo kit that was waiting to be put on my car. For my 19th bday I got into a small accident and got about $1500.00 from the insurance company and I bought a ebay turbo kit. It took me a weekend to install the turbo kit and drove the car about 2 miles and relised the cars destination was to be turbo'd! It drove amazing, had plenty of power on 8psi.

Well here I am now, wanting to upgrade to a electronic fuel manigment tuner instead of a fmu because the fmu is kinda old school and I think my car is running a little leaner than I want it to and I don't want to melt a piston or anything. Keep in mind that this engine has never been rebuilt and has 156,000 miles on it

So is there any fuel manigment tuners out there like apexi or anything like that? that will work?

Old 10-04-2010, 02:24 PM
July 2010 ROTM

get hondata. period.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 PM
HCF Member

^ no. Find out what shops and tuners are good in your area and see what they are the best at tuning. Good systems include hondata, Neptune, Crome, aem, and some others. There is no point in bringing hondata to a tuner who specializes in Neptune or vice versa

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Snail'n Admin

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
^ no. Find out what shops and tuners are good in your area and see what they are the best at tuning. Good systems include hondata, Neptune, Crome, aem, and some others. There is no point in bringing hondata to a tuner who specializes in Neptune or vice versa
Well I mostly agree. Once you get the hang of it, most of the systems are pretty similar. Granted, hondata and neptune RTP are much more advanced than Crome or Uberdata. However, both Crome and Uberdata will definitely do what you need them to.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:19 AM
July 2010 ROTM

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
^theres an opinion, heres another. i had crome on my car and it didnt have the features that hondata has. as far as neptune, i have no experience with it so i cant say. theres a reason why poor people tune on crome (like i did) and why people with the money get hondata. i will not make the mistake twice. as soon as my kid is here and my finances are stable, i will def be converting my b16a to obd1 and having the ecu chipped and hondata installed. only thing that comes before that is fixing my brakes. just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:11 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by MBrent
^theres an opinion, heres another. i had crome on my car and it didnt have the features that hondata has. as far as neptune, i have no experience with it so i cant say. theres a reason why poor people tune on crome (like i did) and why people with the money get hondata. i will not make the mistake twice. as soon as my kid is here and my finances are stable, i will def be converting my b16a to obd1 and having the ecu chipped and hondata installed. only thing that comes before that is fixing my brakes. just my opinion, take it for what its worth.
i'm not saying crome is as good as hondata is, (but i will point out aem and neptune is just as capable if not better in some people's opinion), and i personally chose hondata s300 so i understand where your opinion is coming from. but i'm not talking about which system is better, i'm talking about which system the OP SHOULD choose. yeah, crome is inferior, but if a local tuner can use crome and get it to run just as well as hondata, at a quarter of the price no less, why not... or what if he has no local license/certified hondata tuner around as an option. are you going to bring an s300 to a certified/licensed neptune tuner or the local crome tuner? who probably has tuned thousands of setups on neptune and maybe 10 setups on hondata.... sure, may he is able to use hondata, but he could probably get the same tune on neptune as he would on hondata in a fraction of the time, again saving you money, or he could ultimately get your a more dialed in tune on neptune than on hondata given the same time, which is better tune for the same money.

i live in colorado, which means i have aem and hondata tuners everywhere, and a neptune tuner in colorado springs. so if you're in the springs, everyone there uses neptune. (although there is a licensed crome pro tuner in the springs, but as you said, only people on a tight budget takes that route) what's the point in driving 100 miles to get a hondata tune if the neptune tuner is great at what he does?

in your case (and of course your opinion makes sense for your location i assume) i'm guessing there is a great hondata tuner around and a sketchy crome tuner and no neptune tuner, which pushes you in the direction of hondata.

why do you think some people use haltech or other very non-honda-common systems on their personal honda setups? because their local tuner specializes in it and recommended it for the tuner to make a great tune.

so saying "hondata PERIOD" isn't the best advice all around

Last edited by theblackpearl; 10-05-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:38 PM
July 2010 ROTM

lets say that you want a honda civic, but the nearest dealership is 150mi away. there is a kia dealership right around the corner. do u buy the koup civic knockoff just because it is close? i dont skimp on my car (anymore, lesson learned). to do something because it is convenient is ricer-ish. OP, research this topic. i doubt u will even be back to read this thread, but why not send john vega at phearable.net, who has more tuning experience than everyone on this forum put together, and see what he reccomends? maybe his word will suffice. and THAT is the best advice so far.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:00 PM
HCF Member

Lol, the op isn't trying to buy a car, he's just trying to tune it

But, according to your analogy, you'd rather spend 500 bucks or whatever to tow your car 150 miles to the hondata tuner or risk driving there on a basemap instead of going just ten miles away to the just as competent and well accepted Neptune tuner... Have fun with that....

Edit: it's not about convenience or cutting corners, it's about making the logical choice given a specific situation, I'm sure phearable agrees

Old 10-05-2010, 06:02 PM
July 2010 ROTM

this really shouldnt be an arguement. he asked for advice, i gave my opinion. just because a ****ty tuner down the street can tune on crome or neptune is no reason to go that route. i dont know what your background on honda performance is, so im not going to assume that all you have dealt with is stock hondas and have no experience with a modified one. i merely posted what i think is the best advice. hondata, period. thank you tho pearl, for being an adult about our slight disagreement. most users would start a nice flame and with that, it seems like all intelligence falls to the side. we agree to disagree! OP, all we can do is hope you make an informed decision.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

I will gladly agree to disagree if you still don't see it from my point of view after one more comment

Originally Posted by MBrent
this really shouldnt be an arguement. he asked for advice, i gave my opinion. just because a ****ty tuner down the street can tune on crome or neptune is no reason to go that route. i dont know what your background on honda performance is, so im not going to assume that all you have dealt with is stock hondas and have no experience with a modified one. i merely posted what i think is the best advice. hondata, period. thank you tho pearl, for being an adult about our slight disagreement. most users would start a nice flame and with that, it seems like all intelligence falls to the side. we agree to disagree! OP, all we can do is hope you make an informed decision.
this bold part is where i know that you are missing my point. you're basically assuming that any non-hondata tuner is ****ty and doesn't know what they're doing with a boosted honda or whatever vehicle. on the contrary, there are a lot of certified neptune tuners who are well known and respected for their ability to a greatly tune a vehicle just as well as a certified hondata tuner is with a vehicle.

basically, to repeat, why would i drive 100+ miles to a good hondata tuner when i KNOW through word of mouth or other great sources that there is a wonderful Neptune tuner within miles of my location. in this situation, it is almost stupid to say the only system good to go with is hondata, period.

and yes, i do have experience with boosted hondas and I personally also went with hondata s300 on my setup. why? because the local shop i was working with had more experience and felt more comfortable using hondata. (well they also were great with aem ems but not worth the price on a civic, especially since hondata is just as good). i would assume this is the same for you. i'm guessing you have either no GREAT crome or decent neptune tuners close to you which is why you resort to hondata, and if you compare hondata with crome, yes, hondata wins hands down, but hondata isn't always the BEST choice.

Quick Reply: Turbo 92 CIVIC DX