Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo....hard to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Default turbo....hard to drive?

i've been watching videos on youtube to see how a turbo sounds/looks like when driving. i noticed when people take off, the rpm's hit the limiter very fast. maybe they're just bad drivers, but it seems like it's difficult to know when the precise time to shift is. my question is...is it hard to shift with aboosted car(hitting the rev limiter so quickly)?

Old 05-23-2007, 05:11 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: turbo....hard to drive?

Driving a car that was never intended to run boost is definitely an interesting experience. Each car reacts differently, and obvoiusly setups vary so much that its hard to say exactly what your car would do.

As far as shifting, the rpms in first gear have a tendency to scream upwards, but, that's what rev limiters are for It's a lot easier as you move up through the gears. Main thing you need to be prepared for is the torque steer. That, and only putting so much load on the motor to stay out of boost when its not needed, etc..

In a nutshell, its not hard, just very different than driving a normal civic

Old 05-23-2007, 05:16 AM

well sometimes its also b/c they are over powering the tires and it hits the limiter.. if you've got an engine management system that'll protect your engine IE: limiter that cuts spark. then your fine but if you are building boost and hit the limiter on a VAFC setup.. the oem ecu will cut fuel, go lean, and yea.. i think you can figure out the rest

Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

it also depends on how much boost and what size turbo you are running. if you are running say 15-20psi on alarger sized turbo and you floor it, oncethe turbogets to full spoolthe rpm's just sky rocket and it is hard to shift right at redline and not hit the rev limiter.on my car at 6psi on a to4e/t3 turbo, the only time i hit the rev limiter is if i jump on it in first.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

a lot of those cars that hit the rev limiter hard are well over 300+hp, a 200hp turbohcarged honda is still gonna climp quickly but if your peak power isnt near the redline you should be fine. It will take some work because by the time you are switching gears the rpms have climbed. It just takes time and practice to see when to shift properly

Old 05-24-2007, 02:42 PM

Biggest thing with my car is the tires breaking loose. In first and second gear after boost and vtec hit, if the tires break loose, your going right to the rev limiter. I'd say thats whats happing in the video's your watching.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:34 AM

Most of the vids on youtube are of like 400whp Honda's putting down stupid power, spinning all the way through 3rd. If you've ever done a burnout the car wants to go straight to the rev limiter, and when you're at 60mph and spinning the tires it wants to do the same thing. They hit the rev limiter because they're spinning, if they don't spin they usually won't run into that issue.

Torque steer is another problem, first time my dad drove my car he hit boost from a 3rd gear roll and simultaneously changed lanes... without moving the steering wheel. [8D]

Just like anything else, you need to learn how to dirive it and get comfortable with driving it. After a while you'll adjust and learn how to handle all the crazy acts of physics.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:38 AM

i see...man cause i've always thought of EVENTUALLY going boost, but when i saw those videos, it seemed like a hastle. so my best bet would be to stay under 300hp i'm assuming.

thanks for all the info.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:55 AM

i wouldnt worry about hitting the limiter if you have an engine management system that protects and cuts spark and not fuel IE:hondata, AEM, so on.

then if you hit the limiter while spinning the tire(s) then when the car caught up to the speed of the tire you jus grab the next gear like you see in the videos

Old 05-25-2007, 12:28 PM

Everyone thinks it's a bad thing to hit the rev limiter, it's not, it's there for a reason.

Having too much power is a ton of fun honestly, lol.

Quick Reply: turbo....hard to drive?