Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

To Turbo or not to Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:50 PM
HCF Member
Default To Turbo or not to Turbo?

hey everyone im pretty new here, been reading alotmore than posting for the last month, well anyways ive been reading up on turbos and what not and dont want to sound ignorent but ive read damn near everypost ive found and have thought over and over again about purchasing SE_2_EG's turbo kit for my 1998 civic ex, some questions are would it be wise to turbo a motor at around 6-8 psi with 145k highway miles? i havent done a compression test yet i will though if i consider turboing more. my only goals are to make my car more fun to drive and faster, i know thats pretty unspecific but i used to own a v8 camaro but sold it for gas mileage, and i miss the power of being able to beat most cars at a light, i have around 1600 to spend and his asking price for the whole kit is $900, and i know i would love to put the kit on myself, instead of paying a shop.but its also my a-b car another question without a build is it alright to turbo an older motor and still be reliable enough to make it to work and school everyday? what are some things im not thinking of if i buy the turbo kit? i know theres a ton of nickel and dime things i will need to buy. only mods to car as of now are aem shortram intake is it absolutly needed to put on an aftermarket exhause? becase i wnat it to be a 100% sleeper. thanks for the replies and ive also considered a b16 or similer swap instead and not turboing, but i think the turbo will be more fun

Old 08-11-2007, 08:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: To Turbo or not to Turbo?

as long as the compression test checks out ok, then you're fine. if you can get a b16 for the price that you're looking to spend, i would get it rather than turboing.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:02 PM
HCF Member

thats exactly right i forgot about mentioning that the block alone costs about as much as i have to spend nevermind the ecu trannny and so forth i mean i could save up for that though

Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Stock exhaust is going to hinder you dramatically, the exhaust makes a HUGE difference in a turbocharged car.

I'll put it this way, if you turbocharger your car with the correct tuning, it will no longer be emissions legal.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:16 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

I'll put it this way, if you turbocharger your car with the correct tuning, it will no longer be emissions legal.
uh oh, this statement may put a damper on things for me. my car has to remain emissions legal, if i turbo it you say it will no longer pass emissions, or does it depend more on where you live?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:20 AM
HCF Member

alright so quitest catback exhaust will be going onto the car if i do turbo

Old 08-12-2007, 06:50 PM

Depends on if you have emissions or not, some states don't. If you do, the car will not pass, not even close.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

my state does have emissions but im not really worried about it you can get past it, even if you fail they just want your money for the testing

Old 08-12-2007, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

how much does a shop usually charge to install a turbo, it would be all labor cost so how much am i looking at for just intall prices? ballpark estimate?

Old 08-12-2007, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

You should just research and do it yourself.

Quick Reply: To Turbo or not to Turbo?