Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo plans in future, what to get done first?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 PM
HCF Member
Default turbo plans in future, what to get done first?

I will be putting a turbo in my 2000 integra ls within the next year probably. What should I all get done to my engine first to make sure its as reliable a setup as possible? I'm going to get the Edelbrock kit that is meant for a stock setup, but there has to be some things I should do that will re-inforce the reliability.

Already know I should get ARP studs, and a stage 1 clutch.... but is there anything else that is highly recommended? reliability is huge for me since I use my car to deliver pizzas, although I may be done delivering pizzas by the time I get the turbo installed. like is there anything with cam gears, cams, pistons, whatever.... i plan on leaving it at the factory psi settings

Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: turbo plans in future, what to get done first?

headstuds, new clutch, lower compression pistsons/new rings (if not replacing pistons/rings, do a Compression test before you try to boost, check the DIY about it), Eagle rods, Cometic headgasket, bigger fuel injectors/fuel pump, maybe rail too, then 2.5" - 3" exhaust.

and for more info about this, read the stickies.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:04 PM
HCF Member

well the edelbrock kit says that it comes with everything to upgrade the fuel system as well. and then also the mechanic thats installing it said that pistons wouldnt need to be replaced as long as I'm running at factory levels of psi. is this correct or should I do it anyways?

so basically its just headstuds, stage 1 clutch, eagle rods, diff. headgasket, and maybe pistons?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 PM
HCF Member

factory levels of PSI? What? There is no Civic that has any type of boost, no what PSI would he be talking about?

Lowered compression isn't totally necesarry (again, read the sticky about it), but it does make your car more reliable (but you do low-end torque because of the lower comp)

Old 01-16-2008, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

factory as in the the turbo. The kit is set up at the levels of psi that will work with a stock engine, and then if you want to up the psi then he recommended doing pistons and what not

Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

factory levels of PSI? What? There is no Civic that has any type of boost, no what PSI would he be talking about?

Lowered compression isn't totally necesarry (again, read the sticky about it), but it does make your car more reliable (but you do low-end torque because of the lower comp)
His talking about the factory set level on the edelbrock kit, which is at 7psi.

00integrals, no need for the eagle rods or pistons at stock boost level... All you really need is a new good clutch. The arp studs is a good idea to help prevent headlift on the long run and since you need to lift the head to installed them might as well installed a new headgasket (oem should be good enough).

Also, since the edelbrock downpipe doesn't come with a flex pipe, the turbo manifold can get crack in a few years. So, is a good idea to weld a flex pipe to the downpipe.

I'm not sure about the integra edelbrock kits, but for the civic one's, edelbrock forgot to but inclulded an oil restritor for the turbo , so it's a good idea to get one to prevent the oil seals from blowing up in the long run.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 PM
HCF Member

thank you for the help, so stage 1 clutch, arp head studs, and any new head gasket will work? Are you saying that when installing the turbo kit they have to take off the head to install the turbo or the head studs? Like would it be alrgiht if I got all this stuff done in March/April and then didnt get the turbo installed until August? or should I consider having it all done around the same time?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 00IntegraLS

thank you for the help, so stage 1 clutch, arp head studs, and any new head gasket will work? Are you saying that when installing the turbo kit they have to take off the head to install the turbo or the head studs? Like would it be alrgiht if I got all this stuff done in March/April and then didnt get the turbo installed until August? or should I consider having it all done around the same time?
No need to take off the head for the turbo, but for the arp studs its recommend to take it off.

No need to worry about installing the arp studs and clutch before the turbo. For the clutch, I recommend an action 2ms or 2md clutch.

http://www.garage-life.com/Action_Clutch.html

Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

if you install the turbo kit itself, theres no need to take apart the engine, the headstuds are when you'll need to take it apart a little bit. And the clutch/headstuds would be okay for installing now and waiting for hte turbo kit, but don't mess with anything fuel-related until the final install.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:46 AM

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

thats not entirely true. there was an 80's honda city turbo.

Quick Reply: turbo plans in future, what to get done first?