HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/)
-   -   Turbo Project (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-13/turbo-project-26066/)

TicKeR_96_HaTcH 07-26-2006 03:37 AM

Turbo Project

Well I got my teggie not too long ago and it still needs an exhaust and to be lowered but I will be doing those two mods very shortly. Afterwards I'm going to be turboing it (it's a 1998, B18b1). I've been reading up on turbos alot recently and am learning alot more than what I knew. I'm just hoping to get a solid plan down for my turbo so I can start piecing the parts together. Assuming I follow "Petes Turbo Grocery List" would it be a better route to take and buy good brands with a budget of about $2000 instead of buying a kit? Or would it be better if I bought a kit as it will be my first time boosting a car. This car will still be my DD, and I'm not looking to make huge HP (just somewhere around the 250WHP area). Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance,

TiCkEr :)

MDCivic 07-26-2006 09:38 AM

RE: Turbo Project

I learned the hard way with my old '86 Fiero that I put a turbo on, whatever your budget, plan on at least doubling it before it's all said and done. It seemed like there was always something I needed or had to be done. Instead of turboing my stock V6, I should have swapped it for a bigger motor, like a Caddy V8, would have cost me sooooo much less than fooling with a turbo setup.

Forty04 07-26-2006 09:57 AM

I wouldnt go as far as saying it'll cost you twice as much as your original budget, but you will run into a lot of miscellanious expenses. I dropped around $200 on just misc. fittings, clamps, hose tees, etc etc etc... When you are ready to start the install, make sure you have an extra $200-$300 on you, you'll need it

Marty 07-26-2006 10:07 AM

The thing about it is to not set a solid budget because you start to skimp on parts.

TicKeR_96_HaTcH 07-26-2006 03:41 PM

That's why I said $2000 rather than $1000. I don't have a set budget.. if you guys think it will be best for me to piece my kit together with better name brands for cheaper than buying a kit then ill do that. I'm just looking for a direction to be pointed in. I don't mind spending even $3000 if I have to, but at that price I can be buying a kit. Also what are some good tips to do to your engine before turboing? If this question has already been answered, just send me the link lol.. things like water pump, timing belt etc.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I appreciate it.

TiCkEr

Nail I3unny 07-26-2006 04:04 PM

dollar for dollar, a self-pieced kit will put zip codes on a pre-assembled kit.

TicKeR_96_HaTcH 07-26-2006 04:32 PM

Alright, then a self pieced kit it is. I'm going to have to do lots of reading on how to piece a turbo kit together.. :(. If you guys want to throw suggestions my way, that would be great lol.

TiCkEr

dfdon 07-26-2006 10:25 PM

unless you get the edelbrock kit which is gonna cost you around 4k+ piecing it togather helps because most kits dont come with fuel managment and youll need it its where the real $ comes in

Marty 07-26-2006 10:30 PM

your goals are 250whp?

TicKeR_96_HaTcH 07-27-2006 03:42 AM

Yeah, somewhere around the 250whp+ range would be great as a DD.

TiCkEr