Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo or Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Dan
Default Turbo or Supercharger

Hi guys

Which one would you install in 6th Gen Civic, am looking for a BIG boost in power so im thinkin about a turbo. Am installing NOS as soon as i get the cash together. Got all the detials. But i cant make my mind up on Turbo or supercharger.

Advice please.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Default RE: Turbo or Supercharger

hey this is standuphonda hey i think that u should get a turbo because it provides about almost three hundred more horses for ur car and i dont think that u should get nos if he have a strong and fast car there is no need for nos.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Dan

Oki doki, but the nos would be there as backup for those really need to be fast moments. But then again i need to get some serious cash together to do what i want to do, i always like the feel of turbo lag lol.

Old 04-29-2005, 09:39 AM

well if u want very good power gain for a daily driver then get an sc, but if u want those insane power numbers, go with a turbo. there a lots of arguments about this so look'em up.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

ask search he should be able to give u a good answer

Old 04-29-2005, 10:16 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Standuphonda
three hundred more horses
WHAT???????????????? ok first of all how do you figure 300 more horse power? Does the sticker add 250 HP? It's physically impossible to get 300 HP from a turbo alone without changing internals. Well, you could but your engine will blow after the first WOT at full boost.

edit:
Now that I look at your previous post I remember who you are, the guy with a big wallet and no clue what to spend it on. If you are a newbie,.. which from your post I can see you are, please don't give false information. Opinion are one thing, but when you say 300 HP increase please tell me where you got your information. I want to see that. If an engine makes 125 hP at most you will get about 75% more HP with a simple bolt on w/stock internals maybe 100% more for short periods of time. To get 250% more horspower you need more than just boost power.

It's all physics and math. At sea level atmopheric pressure is 14.7 psi. assuming a bolt on turbo will give you about 7 psi of boost you will be adding 50% more air(assuming the fuel system can add more fuel) which will add 50% more power(roughly). So to net 300 more HP you will have to add a turbo with a little less than 37 psi. These are all estimates and are more realistic than the number you pulled right out of, well you know were. I am not trying to flame here, I just hate missinformation being passed around by people who don't really know what they are talking about. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:12 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, I tend to ignore standuphonda now (especially after he sent me an email saying im full of **** and dont know what im talking about, haha). If you are going to go ALL OUT power then you want a turbo, period. If you want some low end grunt and a great power curve then I'd suggest a supercharger. As for nitrous... keep it as long as the shot isnt too big and some internal work is in the plans. If its a basic FI setup then both kits will give you about the same overall horsepower... but a turbo is alot easier (money and headache wise) to get big numbers. THAT DOESNT MEAN IT IS BETTER IN ANY WAY, HAHA

Old 04-29-2005, 11:26 AM
HCF Member

get a turbo..........lots of power throughout those RPMS.........and the BOV is a plus.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:41 AM
HCF Member

You not know what you are talking about,.... lol. This coming from someone who claims 300+ hp on a stock civic engine by just adding a turbo,... lol. I would consider myself a newbie around this forum, but not to motorsports or even civics. In the few months that I've been reading I have learned a lot about suprecharging or turbo-ing a civic engine. I am stil conteplating it and if I ever decide to I know who to ask. From what I can tell you are one of the few people who really know their $h|t. I have some experience with superchargers, but never tackled a turbo system.

I supercharged the 3.4L on my Tacoma and damn was I impressed. Sure the supercharger was a direct bolt on, but TRD didn't add fuel upgrades and from reading forums like these and listeneing to people like you that share useful, and most importantly CORRECT information, I learned a lot. I learned how to upgrade my fuel system and tune it up for optimum performance and engine reliability. Now I have 300+ HP at the flywheel and 271 rwhp, from a 190HP stock engine. 9psi of boost and water injection. No lean mixture at WOT, just the sweet whine of the SCer.

I am ready to learn more about turbos. My civic is my daily driver so I would like to keep it reliable. If I do decide it will be with no more than 7 psi boost, intercooler and WI. Intercooler to raise the air density and WI to keep the EGTs down and keeping the combustion chamber clean. the only thing holding me back is the CARB O.E. that the turbos for my car don't have. I live in cali where smog regulations are pretty strick so I have to worry about that. I have yet to find a kit that has that. I e-mailed Greddy and they said at the moment the kit for my car is not certified. So the search continues!

Old 04-30-2005, 06:43 AM
HCF Member

you are running a blown Tacoma... I have the best sites for you (if you havent already found it yourself)

Sorry Civic guys, you can skip this post:

URD: Underdog Racing Development has some killer packages, pulleys, fuel controllers, etc... I strongly suggest you check them out for performance stuff. the website is http://www.urdusa.com, talk to Brian... he's a great guy. I purchased the supercharger upgrade kit from them and love it.

As for just general knowledge and some awesome FAQ's... check out: http://www.gadgetonline.com, I got alot of info from his Tacoma site that I used to solve my problems with the 1ZZ-FE supercharger stuff, but all the blowers are basically the same and encounter the same hi RPM lean out problems. Good luck and if you need anything just ask.

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharger