Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo surge and lag

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turbo surge and lag

2000 Si Newbi, can you tell the difference between a bov and a wastegate? On a side note if you bought it at 110k then I would chech to see if the timing belt and water pump has been changed.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:53 PM

Sigh* its like every1 thinks i dont kno wat i am talkin about because a made a mistake and confused two things like it has never been done before. Yes i kno the difference i am not gonna go into explaining it cause it has been said before on this forum a couple times that where i learned it. You should ask a more difficult question if you want to test wat i kno off the topof my head. And the purpose of the tune up is to take care of everything like the timing belt, water pump, filters, fluids and all that other stuff. Need to make sure i have a healthy environment before i boost it.
O and for any1 else... yes i kno wat i am doin in regards to SC my car. I am not studing to be a mechanical engineer for nothing.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

I wasn't testing you with the belt and pump I just wanted to make sure you changed them because its time it needs done.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 PM

Well in that case thanks for the look out. Thats one think i fear if it breaks.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
HCF Member

+1 on the, don't Boost your ride. You've got lots to learn. and if you wanna hear about torque steer, listen to Remmy. Boosted B16 ftw[8D]

Old 05-08-2007, 12:10 AM

yea sounds like a b.s. story to me a supercharger doesnt have lag or surge only turbo has "lag" kicks in at about 3,000-4,000 depending on type

Old 05-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: 2000 Si Newbi

Sigh* its like every1 thinks i dont kno wat i am talkin about because a made a mistake and confused two things like it has never been done before. Yes i kno the difference i am not gonna go into explaining it cause it has been said before on this forum a couple times that where i learned it. You should ask a more difficult question if you want to test wat i kno off the topof my head. And the purpose of the tune up is to take care of everything like the timing belt, water pump, filters, fluids and all that other stuff. Need to make sure i have a healthy environment before i boost it.
O and for any1 else... yes i kno wat i am doin in regards to SC my car. I am not studing to be a mechanical engineer for nothing.
Make sure you do a compression test before you boost it... I'd think you'd be good at 110k miles, but if I were you, I'd want to be 100% sure.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: MHSBaseball

yea sounds like a b.s. story to me a supercharger doesnt have lag or surge only turbo has "lag" kicks in at about 3,000-4,000 depending on type
size....exhaust/intake trim size....manifold and pipeing size....intercooler has some effect...and then theres the little thing that turbos spool off of load not RPM....(thanks forty for letting me know) tony: "i can go all the way to redline in every gear and not see a single pound of boost!"

but we get the idea with RPM

Old 05-08-2007, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

ORIGINAL: 2000 Si Newbi

Make sure you do a compression test before you boost it... I'd think you'd be good at 110k miles, but if I were you, I'd want to be 100% sure.
Yea good stuff almost forgot about that one. I am making the list now of the stuff i want them to do.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:56 PM

if i was anyone.. before you consider boosting a car or if you want to learn more about turbocharging and the whole backround on boost and all that stuff buy a book and READ. it never hurts to know more.

Maximum Boost- by Corky Bell.
its a book thats very informative and anyone can learn more

Quick Reply: Turbo surge and lag