Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

vitara d16 block smoking

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 06:29 PM
HCF Member
Default vitara d16 block smoking

ok i just bought a y8 block that was just rebuilt with vitara pistons. he pulled the motor after a few miles because it smoked. any ideas what is causing the smoke. i know its oil. he thought the turbo was bad. now i have it put it in and it smokes. is it possible that the oil ring is in upside down?

im thinking of pulling the pistons and replacing the rings. he said it is stock bore but what should i order for rings?

Old 06-28-2009, 04:18 AM
HCF Member

come on guys.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 AM
HCF Member

More info is needed.
What color is the smoke?
How thick?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Chubby Chaser

it could be valve seals also. ..also when you before u put new pistons in. the cylinders have to be honed or bored

Old 06-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

could of not been installed right or have a broken ring from someone who doesnt know how to properly assemble and build a motor

Old 06-28-2009, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

ok the motor was built by students at itt tech. the motor was installed with a turbo. it was driven home. it smoked the whole time. the guy i got it from said his turbo was bad. he had been building a second motor himself. so he pulledout this one and installed his new one.

ok the smoke is light grey. definatly oil. it almost stops while idling but when you rev it or drive it the smoke gets worse. not as bad as coolant tho. i am using a different head then what he was running. thats what leads me to believe its the rings. the block was only honed and stock sized pistons were used. i was told that if it was valve seals it wouldnt smoke this bad and only at startup. also being the guy before me had smoke i should have checked the rings. i asked him if the rings could have been installed incorrectly and he said it was a good possibility.

also i know i need to adjust the rockers because they are tapping pretty good. i started this post for just info on the rings. but thanks for helping with the peoblem first!!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

are u tuned to the right injectors? is it a more of a white-ish gray?

Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 PM
HCF Member

right now it is a stock intake with stock injectors and just a header. no turbo

Old 06-28-2009, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

some of the sensors might be not working, like the map sensor

Old 06-28-2009, 08:04 PM
HCF Member

i was thinking the pcv valve. but the old motor didnt smoke. and its the same intake manifold.

i really think its something to do with the rings. either they are not lined up correctly or they got damaged.

is it possible to install an oil ring upside down?

Quick Reply: vitara d16 block smoking