Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

What's the TRIM on a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: What's the TRIM on a turbo?

your boost gauge is reading nothing in neutral because it takes a reading off of wherever you have it's vacuum line hooked up to, if its hooked up to the brake booster line (for example) , when your in neutral theres no "boost" at that moment in time, so its reading nothing. Once your driving and the compressor is pushing air into your engine, your making boost, so the gauge will tell you how much you're making.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 PM
HCF Member

Its not reading boost cause even when you rev your motor to redlinein neutral you cant make any boost cause there isalmost noload hence the vacuum.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: red2000Si

Its not reading boost cause even when you rev your motor to redlinein neutral you cant make any boost cause there isalmost noload hence the vacuum.
Ok, so smaller engine's won't, but say a zc would build enough. Right? in other words it's the exhaust.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:06 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Shingpumps

ORIGINAL: red2000Si

Ok, so smaller engine's won't, but say a zc would build enough. Right? in other words it's the exhaust.
no, theres no load, so no boost, i dont think it really matters what engine

Old 08-20-2007, 09:35 AM
HCF Member

Well its relative. If you had a big V8 you could probably spool something small like a t25 in neutral just cause the engine is so big and makes much more exhaust in neutral than acivicbut there would be no more "load" put on the system from a bigger motor than a smaller motor in relation to itself. Hope that makes some sense to you.

To answer your question, no I dont think a zc is really going to make any kind of a noticeable difference. It might make your turbo spool slightly quicker when under load in a given gear (maybe even 1st)but definitely not in neutral.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

Every boosted car I have had builds boost in 1st and with the clutch pressed in. How do you think a 2 step works?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM

Good friggen lord.

First of all, you are the one searching for answers, how can you tell anyone else that they're wrong? You are revving your motor in neutral totally oblivious to not only the size of that turbo, but how turbo's work in general. So, cool your attitude or get out and find your answers elsewhere.

You have an ebay turbo, probably a 57trim at that. The "trim" is the size of the exducer minus the inducer of the compressor wheel. When do you hit full boost in 3rd gear?

Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, since your turbo does not and will not hit boost in neutral (without 2step) that because your clutch slips that you are more or less free revving and not putting any load or a limited load on the engine and therefor not being able to hit boost in 1st gear?

I don't hit boost in 1st gear until after 6000rpms due to the size of the turbo, you have even less displacement and a head that flows worse than mine on top of that... I don't really see you hitting boost until 6500+... you redline at 7K sooo no you probably won't see it.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:26 PM

You pretty much summed everything up except now i need to know what 2 step is.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:17 PM

Basically allows you to build boost off the line by retarding the timing to an extreme extent which will cause combustion to take place in your exhaust manifold and spool the turbo. Turbo's don't like it too much though, it's only for slick equipped drag cars and/or rally cars so that they can stay in boost when they get off the throttle.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:29 AM

Ok, I get it. Ok i stand corrected. There are some peeps on this forum who know what your talkin about. I appologize again.