Non-Honda Discussion Discussion of all other makes and models takes place here!

1980 VW Golf 1.6D project, or StifflersMom now is a Dubber.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 AM
Cat Fuсker
Exclamation 1980 VW Golf 1.6D project, or StifflersMom now is a Dubber.

Got it 10 days ago. It's mean, green, 3 door, and diesel. Unknown number on the clock since it only goes to 99K kilometers. Got it complete with a spare engine, spare set of wheels, and a complete set of lights.

Plans for now are to restore and powdercoat the original steelies, and make what's on the car to be winter wheels. Than alarm, power windows, locks, new head unit, better seats, sandblast the body, weld in reinforcements, swap in an aaz, redo the interior... you know, the little things.

Crappy Pic

Old 08-18-2013, 05:05 PM

I will post a real reply in ten days, since we are that important to you.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Cat Fuсker

LOL you diсk. I spent 1 day getting it from one end of the country to where I live, than 4 days at DMV registering and inspecting it, than 2 days swapping parts over and fixing things. After that I drank beer, so STFU.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Cat Fuсker

Looks like car requires quite a bit of work to make it "modern". I'm thinking of heading in a different direction with this and not just "make another GTI clone", but make it into a capable all-around car. By the way, diesels are fascinating. I had to read the entire manual on these engines before I understood why they are the way they are and than spent a while looking for that one electrical solenoid that shuts it off. Basically only two wires are required for it to run as is, or no wires at all if I gut the solenoid.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM

It's green. Guy says "heading in a different direction... not GTI" then doesn't tell us where he is going with it.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:18 PM
HCF Member

I love the older vw's and currently own a rat rod beetle as well as my 94 civic coupe. Ive owned SEVERAL vws through my life but have never picked up a Golf of any year, although I can assure you Ive tried at times.
Do yourself a favor and dont make another GTI clone like everyone else in the world. Do something unique. Hell, Ive seen older golfs like yours converted over to the old air cooled vw flat fours from bugs and busses. Now I dont understand why you'd do that (as you will lose like 100 horse power) but it is neat to see. Also remember, on a diesel you can propane inject it instead of Nos. its a lot easier to come by and it may be a kool little trick for your ride to stand out from all the other cookie cutter gti's out there.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 AM
Cat Fuсker

If anything - I don't ever clone anything. I'll take the stupidest "other" road as if only not to clone anything. Right now nothing is happening to the car because I'm still learning the diesel it has in it. Fascinating simple thing. Looking for a garage to rent to start working on it over the winter. Already drove around 10K kilometers since I took ownership. Pics of trip will follow.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:57 PM
HCF Member

Just a thought Ive also seen older golfs rabbits, and even cabriolets' that have been lowered to the point of dragging on EVERYTHING and the owners having the exhaust exit from the front quarter panel.... may not be your cup of tea, but I think it looks mean as hell

Old 10-01-2013, 02:35 AM
Cat Fuсker

If anything - I will raise it up more. Not a fan of "stance" or any other non-functional bullcrap. I know I will put a turbo in, because a diesel with no turbo isn't as fun, I Know I will run better brakes, completely new wiring, electric power steering if I find the correct column that fits, but other than that it'll be a sort of "make it better" restoration thing.

Panorama of mountains and black sea in Crimea

at a marketplace near Kherson

WW2 Memorial in Voznesensk or somewhere nearby, don't remember.

WW2 Memorial in New Odessa

And here it is parked at home again

Old 10-01-2013, 04:41 PM

I am digging that panoramic shot alot. nice work

Quick Reply: 1980 VW Golf 1.6D project, or StifflersMom now is a Dubber.