Non-Honda Discussion Discussion of all other makes and models takes place here!

Dodge Intrepid 2003

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 AM
HCF Member
Angry Dodge Intrepid 2003

This is about my boyfriend's crappy car. He has a Dodge Intrepid, V6 engine, year 2002 or 2003.

Yesterday we were going somewhere, and had just gotten off the highway. We were waiting at a stoplight (which was at the end of the exit ramp), and his car starts shaking. It was definitely his engine sputtering. I was expecting it to stall but it didn't.

His engine light has been on for a week. He hasn't checked it because he's half hoping its just the gas cap being loose and it will go away. He has not had luck with cars; they've all been bottomless pits for him to throw his money into. However, the Check Engine Light did not flash, which would indicate a misfire.

What could be a common cause for this? I've never had it happen to me. If it's something super costly (more than $1000), he would sell it as is.

I should probably mention that the engine was replaced when his sister owned it and NEVER CHANGED THE OIL. It was sludge, the engine was ruined. And of course no one recorded the mileage at which this was done. Not even sure if his family still has the receipt. But this engine replacement happened about 2 years ago.

P.S.: I hate American cars. Honda's FTW

Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 AM

We can't just throw random ideas out for the CEL. He can get it scanned for free at a place like pepboys.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:33 PM
HCF Member

Thanks so much for the HELP. I've googled the problem (its more than just a CEL after all) and other forums are more than happy to "throw random ideas" around.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Probably because they are discussing a car they know very well.

If someone came on here and refused to check the CEL, we would start assuming o2 sensor since it is common for them to go after awhile. I personally do not have any direct experience with this car, so I attempted to provide general help.

What's the point of speculating about a CEL, when it can be handled fairly quickly at a local auto store? Does the car not start? Stuttering engine could be knock sensor, crank sensor, distributor (do they even have distributors?), misfires, engine mount issues, o2 sensor issues, anything. Really just depends on the car.

Yes, a CEL is not just a CEL that will go away. It signifies an actual problem with something else that needs to be fixed. That problem could be anything is what I am trying to say. Let us know what happens.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:30 PM

Basically the cel is to tell you where the car hurts like a baby who cant talk, ran to auto zone get it checked for free and then come back and post the codes for a more accurate diagnosis. Ps i work on them regularly even if i hate the best thing about them so maybe i can chime in.

Last edited by redrat; 08-25-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:44 AM
HCF Member

Ok, I told him to go get the CEL checked. Whenever he gets around to it, Ill post the codes. He hates that car xD A couple years ago he had the chance to buy a used honda civic, but instead went with a cheaper 1998 nissan sentra (which was crappy also and always needed to be fixed). Should've went with the honda!!!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

People don't throw out random ideas because then the poster will go and replace that part and guess what... its still won't work. You're lucky... most forums would laugh at a post that said CEL but didn't have it read. I've had a CEL for a knock sensor, O2 censor, misfires all within a 1 month period so it's impossible to assume that the CEL is for one thing in particular.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM

OP, let us know what happens.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 AM
HCF Member

He was on his way to advance auto parts yesterday to borrow a code reader, and the CEL turned off on the way there. Oh well! We'll see if it comes back soon.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:17 AM
HCF Member

^Why did you just copy what I said in my original post?

Well since I've bought a Honda CR-Z, my boyfriend now gets my Civic. As far as the Intrepid goes, a couple weeks ago it needed its yearly inspection. Didn't pass because of a transmission code. The mechanic didn't give a specific code number. Dummy. He reset it and said drive it around for a week and then bring it back. Well it never came back on, an it passed the second time. -shrug-

Quick Reply: Dodge Intrepid 2003