Non-Honda Discussion Discussion of all other makes and models takes place here!

Honda vs Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 PM
HCF Member

Honda post-2000 does not get my vote. S2000/NSX excluded. It seems for the price you pay for a new honda you can have a much better car with RWD for not much more.

I have no experience of any kind with a Toyota, other than none of their cars appeal to me so I cannot say if they're bad or good.

Nissan and Hyundai, from what I've seen and heard about, would be my choices of either of these two right now if I was looking for a NEW car, but that'll probably never happen any time soon for me.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 PM
HCF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by inthezoneac
Honda post-2000 does not get my vote. S2000/NSX excluded. It seems for the price you pay for a new honda you can have a much better car with RWD for not much more.

I have no experience of any kind with a Toyota, other than none of their cars appeal to me so I cannot say if they're bad or good.

Nissan and Hyundai, from what I've seen and heard about, would be my choices of either of these two right now if I was looking for a NEW car, but that'll probably never happen any time soon for me.
I have to say I agree with you on most points. I think any vehicle beyond 2000 is questionable. I agree used Honda's are too much money, & the Hyundai vehicles are starting to get more pricey as time goes on.
I have owned three Toyota trucks in the 70s. They were good trucks.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 AM

Hmmm. I have a 2012 Civic Si, love it. No idea what you guys are talking about relative to 2000+. K-series ftw

2001-2005 sucked IMO but the 8th and 9th gens are good.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 03-21-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM

Interesting for me to find this post after I just bought a 2013 Toyota Rav4 to replace my 99 civic.

Back in 99 when I wanted a basic car, the Civic won. I knew I would drive it into the ground (which I did). It had the best mileage out of the basic sedans in the price range.

Fast forward to now when I needed something bigger. I looked at and test drove most of the small crossover/SUVs - Hyundai Tuscon, Mazda CX5, Honda CRV, Dodge Journey, Jeep Compass, Toyota Rav4, Mitsubishi Outlander, etc. I actually ruled out the Subaru, Chevy, Nissan and Ford at the auto show just based on some quirks we didn't like.

Anyway for me and the wife, it was a very close call between the CRV and the Rav 4. We chose the Rav 4 because the it had a bit more cargo space and the seats on the XLE were super comfortable. Honestly though, I would have been happy with either. I would say both are great vehicles.

Getting back to Civics, I haven't been too impressed with the recent ones, I don't get why one would get that over a Fit. The Fit is cheaper and holds lots more stuff and has the cool folding back seats. The wife actually got one not too long ago instead of the Matrix. Even though the Matrix is a bit bigger, it was significantly more money and the bigger size didn't really seem that usable.

-d

Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by lemon
Getting back to Civics, I haven't been too impressed with the recent ones, I don't get why one would get that over a Fit.
Fits are decent but I chose my 2012 Civic over it for a few reasons:
1. 201hp/170ft-lb tq vs. 117hp/106ft-lb tq... even the base model Civic has more power
2. Fit looks more like a minivan than a 5-door hatchback
3. Fit is kinda girly. probably the reason your wife drives it and you don't

Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 PM

For having sweet interior and exterior designs, less efficient in fuel economy and luxury-in-drive has always been Honda's strong point in the automobile industry. My Honda Accord is a better and smarter drive at top speeds, anytime, anyday!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM

Definitely Honda is better than Toyota

I've been a honda user for years....and test driven toyota in the past....the toyota just don't feel the same as a honda does.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM
July 2010 ROTM

Out of the myriad of cars I have owned, an Acura is #1 and a Toyota is #2. My 97 Integra sedan (vtec swap) was awesome, roomy, reliable, and fun as crap to drive. #2 was a 1987 Toyota Corolla SR5 (ae86) and it was just the coolest thing. I still give my heart to Honda, but Toyota is a close second.

Last edited by MBrent; 05-19-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: illiteracy on my part
Old 05-20-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by MBrent
Out of the myriad of cars I have owned, an Acura is #1 and a Toyota is #2. My 97 Integra sedan (vtec swap) was awesome, roomy, reliable, and fun as crap to drive. #2 was a 1987 Toyota Corolla SR5 (ae86) and it was just the coolest thing. I still give my heart to Honda, but Toyota is a close second.
The AE86 is pretty cool but I find the post-80's Corolla's to be very disappointing

Old 05-20-2013, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

My CR-Z is now the only Honda parked in my family's drive way, out of 5 cars. Have to say, it looks the coolest Really stands out, among three camrys (2002, 2003, 2012) and a Ford Fusion (2012).

Quick Reply: Honda vs Toyota