Non-Honda Discussion Discussion of all other makes and models takes place here!

Scion tC vs Civic for long trips

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Default Scion tC vs Civic for long trips

Looking to get a reliable, fuel efficient used car and considering Civic, Scion, and Accord, all coupes. I've done long trips in a Crown Vic, so I'm a little spoiled in terms of ride quality and realize that the cars I'm looking at will all have more interior noise, and transmit more road vibration to my body and generally wear me down more over a long journey than a car with a boat-like suspension. Just trying to figure out if one is clearly better than the other for someone who will do up to several hundred mile road trips several times a year.

Anyone have experience with both the Scion tC and Civic coupe on longer drives (2hr+)?

Does the 2" longer wheelbase of the tC help dampen vibration, or is any benefit canceled out by the larger wheels? How does road noise compare between these cars?

Any observations on either vs. the Accord also welcomed. Surprisingly, the wheelbase on the Accord is only 1" longer than the Civic and is 1" shorter than the tC.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

depends on the years you're speaking of.
i would think you'd be happier with a 4 cylinder Accord vs. a small Civic.
no experience with the Scion brand... it is Toyota, that speaks enough for itself.

the Accord has a little more luxury, and decent fuel mileage.
since you're coming from a domestic, an Accord would be an easier transition. :P

Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by zerojett
depends on the years you're speaking of.
i would think you'd be happier with a 4 cylinder Accord vs. a small Civic.
no experience with the Scion brand... it is Toyota, that speaks enough for itself.

the Accord has a little more luxury, and decent fuel mileage.
since you're coming from a domestic, an Accord would be an easier transition. :P
That's exactly what I ended up going with.

Nothing beats a long wheelbase plush suspension American car for long distance driving comfort. Horrible fuel efficiency, but you don't feel the miles the way you do in smaller or stiffer suspension cars.