Pics and Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Honda Civic's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

First time beatin on the car

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

A mini me is takingt your 1.5 nonvtec and making it into a 1.6 vtev. You do that by taking the head off a d16y8, and basicaly replacing your d15 non vtec head. By doing that, you'll gain 20 some hp and the beloved vtec. It is a fairly easy upgrade and gives you a chance to open up the motor and take a look at the stuff inside. There's a lot of guides out there so you'll have alot of help on your side. Just read read read and learn what you can, best thing you can do!

Old 12-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

or you can just have mitch do it for you so you know its done right haha XD

Old 12-04-2009, 06:09 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Scott53092
A mini me is takingt your 1.5 nonvtec and making it into a 1.6 vtev. You do that by taking the head off a d16y8, and basicaly replacing your d15 non vtec head. By doing that, you'll gain 20 some hp and the beloved vtec. It is a fairly easy upgrade and gives you a chance to open up the motor and take a look at the stuff inside. There's a lot of guides out there so you'll have alot of help on your side. Just read read read and learn what you can, best thing you can do!
i may be wrong but i don't think you will have a 1.6l after the swap just a 1.6l head but you do have v-tec and you dont have to only use the d16y8 you can use the d16z6 which imo is better when comming from the 1.5 because they are both obd1.

i agree it is a good experience for a "newbie" to do being that there is so much info on it

Old 12-05-2009, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by supersize
or you can just have mitch do it for you so you know its done right haha XD
I don't know how you could really mess up doing the mini me ... unless you put the head on upside down? But yea, it's not that hard and forgot about the z6 lol.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

my luck, thats what i would do haha

Old 12-06-2009, 01:53 PM
HCF Member

alright, mini me sounds pretty good because of the fact how much i would learn and what not, however, would it be smarter/better to get a better engine first then do the mini me? cuz i know d series are real bad, and my teachers buddy owns a civic junkyard, so who knows what i could find there

Old 12-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Well, if you want b series, you wouldn't really call it a mini-me, it would be more like LS/VTEC or B20vtec. I'm not sure if throwing a h22 vtec head on a h23 block has a special name or not. And I think all K series have vtec (correct me if I am wrong).

Definitely check out the junkyard and see if there are any goodies in there. D series are NOT bad in any way. I really need to make a video like yours to show you show the potential of D series. Any one who is boosting on a d series will tell you that boosted D > B series swap. Once you start modding, you can't stop, and D series parts are cheaper than B series.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

oh okay, would've never thought of that. i guess if i stick with d series, i'll be keeping the car for awhile, which means only the best parts for it, no junk etc. where as b serious i could keep, for the most part, stock and not spend as much time on it. so since im keepin the **** for as long as i can. so i gotta question i've been wondering about. what except does "d15b7" mean? like, does each character break down into something different?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

its just the type of motor, name for the series

Old 12-06-2009, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

so like d15 isn't the block and b7 the head or anything fancy like that?

Quick Reply: First time beatin on the car