Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

95 civic needs help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Default 95 civic needs help

ok so im new to the whole import world. im trying to build a 95 civic sedsn for my niece for when shes turns 16. i have a couple years to do it. but i was wanting to start with suspension. what would be the best way to go for lowering it right now and cheap. cuz right now its my daily driver. ive talked to a couple people and they said go on ebay and buy some coilovers. but i was on a website called pro cive and i was wondering about some lowering springs if thats a good way to go for now just to have it lowered some what. any info would help thanks. and if u know of any good sites thaks. im look for a new front bumper with fog lights aswell.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 PM

Don't buy generic coilovers on eBay. Don't buy generic anything. Name brand parts only. Suspension is not something you want to cheap out on.

Lowering springs will be adequate. How low do you want it? I assume she isn't going to be too interested in handling as much as it just not looking like a monster truck at stock ride height, correct? If so, just get some Tein S-tech springs and some decent shocks (Tokico HP, KYB AGX, Koni yellows, etc.). The S-techs lower like 1.5-2" and are pretty soft, so you retain a mostly comfortable ride compared to other springs.

The best way to shop for deals is to figure out exactly what you want, then search for that specific part on eBay and find the lowest price possible. On eBay, it is important to stay away from deals that look too good to be true. If it's horrendously underpriced, it is likely counterfeit, thus being a generic part of low quality. If you use good judgement, shopping for good parts on eBay can be the cheapest route to go in most cases. Don't waste your time browsing eBay trying to get ideas, it'll take all day to sort through the generic trash.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 07-20-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 PM

all right well it does look like a monster truck lol but like i said i was on pro civic and i found skunk 2 lowering springs and camber kits for like 450. but idk if i really need the camer kits. but i want everything done right. without breaking the bank really bad. so id say about a 2 inch drop. im going to put 15s on it so about a two inch drop would be good id say. so comfort and dependalbilty is what i really want. but i will check what u said the thanks. if u come up with any thing else let me know im open for an ything when it comes to this.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 PM

For comfort, ~2" drop, and dependability, I would say go with the Tein S-tech springs. You also need to install shocks that can handle the drop... many people stay with stock shocks on the Tein S-tech springs but more times than not, the shocks will blow out in a short period of time. Aftermarket shocks I would recommend are those 3 I mentioned in my previous post. You might also come across KYB GR-2 shocks... don't get those, they are not made to be used with lowering springs or coilovers, they are merely OE-replacement shocks.

Camber kit necessity is debatable. I personally have a 1.8" drop and was chewing through my tires even with toe set to specs, so when I replaced my tires I installed a front camber kit the same week and had it aligned. These tires are lasting much, much longer, and aren't even very different from my old tires (same brand, just newer model)

My rear camber was actually in specs so I didn't mess with the rear. I wouldn't be surprised if your rear camber is fine after lowering either... lowering springs typically lower the front end slightly more than the rear end.

For a front camber kit I recommend the Buddy Club camber kit. It's on ebay for $155 shipped, and Buddy Club makes some great stuff. Way better deal than the skunk2.

Or you can go without and take the risk... your choice.

I wouldn't really recommend buying anything from procivic.com, their prices suck. I would only use their site for browsing to get ideas... but even for browsing I would recommend a different site... inlinefour.com, jhpusa.com, weaksauceparts.com, passwordjdm.com just to name a few good ones. Those sites, particularly the first two, have very wide inventories and have way more parts to choose from than procivic.com

Old 07-21-2010, 12:02 AM

so would be ok to get the parts u mentioned off ebay. cuz ive decided im going to get those springs (tein s) whith the tokico hp shocks. and that will make the car look. and do u know where i can get a better bumper the one i got just ugly and i really want fog lights. after i get all the suspension done im going to go to the motor and then im going to need ur help if u know anything bout that lol im really not a motor guy. i went to school for body work so im a body man.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 AM

Just make sure you shop smart on eBay like I mentioned earlier and it'll be fine.

And idk what you mean about the bumper... what bumper do you have?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:33 PM

i have the stock sedan bumber. but i have a question about the motor. i have the weak d16 motor and i was wonder could i just rebuild it and the transmission and go from there with putting a turbo and better camshafts and all that good stuff. or would it just not be worth it.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:01 PM

correction i have a d15b7. and as im looking its not worth it so what would should i be looking at to spend to have a quick motor with a turbo set up. if that makes sense. lol

Old 07-21-2010, 11:11 PM

I wouldn't recommend turbocharging it if your niece doesn't know much about cars, unless you plan on always being around to help.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 AM
HCF Member

turbo's can be a real headache, especially when the car didn't come with one. (that is if you don't know a lot about them, even then its a lot of work)

Quick Reply: 95 civic needs help