Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Are Adjustable Coilovers Worth It?

Old 11-05-2010, 12:27 PM
HCF Member
Default Are Adjustable Coilovers Worth It?

I've returned to the forum after working two jobs plus school for the last month I've been looking into which springs and dampers to get for my 00 ex after the winter. I was going to just go with Skunk2 Pro S, but now i'm not sure. Is adjustable coilovers really worth it? Couldn't I just put my stock springs and dampers back in in the winter (if i drive it in the winter. I don't plan on bringing it to college next year). I want to lower it about 1-2 inches. And i don't want progressive springs. Advice?

Old 11-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Yes, you could put your stock springs and dampers back every winter, but think about how much work that is compared to spinning four threaded perches. Adjusting ride height with coilovers doesn't take long (I had 5-spoke 17's which mean I didn't even have to take the wheels off lol).

But if you get lowering springs, why don't you want progressive rate springs? You plan on cutting them or something?

Old 11-07-2010, 07:04 AM
HCF Member

well im not totally opposed to progressive, i just wanted the suspension to be more predictable.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I don't think you'll run into problems with the handling being unpredictable because of good quality progressive-rate springs; I've never heard any complaints about them, anyway. Of course if you're autocrossing or doing some form of racing, you may benefit from standard-rate springs, but I don't know much about that.

*edit: Basically, what I'm trying to say is if you plan on driving it on streets only and won't benefit from being able to adjust ride height, you'll be fine with lowering springs regardless of whether they're progressive- or standard-rate. But it is a lot easier to spin some spring perches than it is to change out springs twice a year

Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM

You're not going to notice any difference in handling from progressive vs liner springs. Progressive springs aren't very unpredictable, stock springs are progressive and it seems like most people don't have any issues with them... Liner is just better for racing applications where you want the desired spring at the first moment of weight transfer and to maintain that rate throughout load distributions.

I drive 2 civics, one with really high, liner spring rates(my race car) and one with soft, progressive lowering springs(my dd). The ride quality on the street is very different due to the spring rates, but as far as street driving, predicability is all the same. Just don't drive like an *** hat on the streets...

Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

alright thx, i'm prob gonna go with adjustable coilovers then. Skunk2 pro S more than likely unless anyone here swears against them.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Super Cereal Admin

The only bad thing I've heard about S2's coilovers is that the spring rate is a little soft. I'd say that's a good thing for a street car, though