Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Advice for Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Default Advice for Shocks

I have a 02 civic lx and put meagan racing lowering springs on it a month ago. My question is, about shocks. I want to replace em with some really good ones, but I dont know any brands. I also want to know what shocks are PROVEN to be good. Last thing I want is drop more money than neccesary. I want to get it right the first time.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Bilstein, Koni Yellows, KYB AGX, Tokico Illuminas

in that order

There's more expensive ones out there though... a little too pricey IMO though.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Bilstein, Koni Yellows, KYB AGX, Tokico Illuminas

in that order

There's more expensive ones out there though... a little too pricey IMO though.
Thanks. Ima check those out. So TOKICO is top on your list. Have you had any experience with these shocks and on what type of honda?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM

Tokico is on the bottom of my list

I have heard they are almost dead even with the KYB AGX in their performance... but they are below the AGX on my list because I have heard of the dampening force adjusters snapping off.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Ive had nothing but good experience with Tokico. They are great for what they cost. It really depends on how you drive when it comes to choosing your shock. Ive heard a lot of people say that Megan springs were really stiff and quite a rough ride. Id say get something adjustable for sure.

Why didnt you get shocks when you got your springs put on? Twice the work and money now.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by plethoric33
Ive had nothing but good experience with Tokico. They are great for what they cost. It really depends on how you drive when it comes to choosing your shock. Ive heard a lot of people say that Megan springs were really stiff and quite a rough ride. Id say get something adjustable for sure.

Why didnt you get shocks when you got your springs put on? Twice the work and money now.
I know I know. I'm new to the game and am learning as I go along what I need to do to have a functioning Honda, not just one that looks nice. My shocks will do for now, but I kno they will have to get replaced in 6 months. I have never needed to replace the stocks. As far as the Springs I put on, I might as well have put coilovers, cause it does get rough. I live in San Diego, and it can get bumpy. But overall they okay. Unless you hit alot of bumps. LOL. Its mixed driving. City and Highway. would billstein be the way to go?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:02 PM

oh yeah. by the way my car my name. 2002 Honda Civic LX Sedan

Old 07-24-2009, 02:18 PM

Any of the shocks I listed will all work fine. Though, the more you spend, generally the better they will perform and/or feel.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
HCF Member

personally havent heard about Tokico but i know the others are good and id say billstein would be the way to go if you got the cash

Old 07-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
personally havent heard about Tokico but i know the others are good and id say billstein would be the way to go if you got the cash
Yeah Im goin most definitely to go with Billstein. How much is each shock? I read somewhere around 400-500 each? I checked their website but they dont have the prices listed. I am suspecting those prices so i wont be surprised.

Quick Reply: Advice for Shocks