Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Advice sought for suspension components

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Default Advice sought for suspension components

The car: '97 Civic EX sedan - all stock except the exhaust

The wheels: 16x7 Konig Supermesh with 40mm offset - purchased not installed

The tires: 205/45R16 - not purchased

The desire: I want to drop the car about 1.5 inches front and rear mostly for appearance. It is my daily driver and the wife and daughter also drive it so I do not want a harsh ride. From what I read on here I should not have to worry about the tires rubbing.

For what I want it seems like a set of struts and lowering springs are what I should go for. Anyone want to give their recommended combinations?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Advice sought for suspension components

The tein s-tech or h-tech. S-tech lowers your car 1.9" in the front and 1.7" in the rear. H-techs lowers the front 1.3" and 1.1" for the rear. They are also designed to work with your stock struts/shocks. They have a nice soft ride, not harsh, from what I've read and heard.

Your other choice could be the Tokico Hp kit. It should give you about 1.5" drop, front and back. A few members on here have them installed on their civics and maybe they can help out.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 PM

I was considering Eibach ProKits with Tokico Illuminas - seems a lot less expensive than prices I've seen for Tein. Are the Teins that much better to justify it? Especially as I'm not autocrossingor anything like that in this car.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

if you are going just for looks, the tein would do just fine and you can still use your stock shock since the spring rate are revatively close to stock.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 AM

I'm leaning toward Eibach ProKits with Tokico Illuminas right now. The Teins seem to be a lot more expensive.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 AM
mxs
HCF Member

that should be fine. you can go a bit lower with that wheel/tire combo if you want.
shop around for the shocks, you might be able to find Koni Reds for almost the same price as the Illuminas, and they are better

Old 05-25-2007, 09:12 AM

I found a place on ebay that has Illuminas for $405 shipped. Now the question - should I go with the Eibach Sportlines instead of the ProKits because the cost from the same seller is the same at $180?

Ever hate to pull the trigger on a deal?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Or you can get the konis for $348 shipped...

the sportlines will handle better but they are a little stiffer, it's your call.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:17 PM

I went with the ProKits and Illuminas (because they were adjustable).

Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 AM

Got everything complete yesterday! Got the Eibach Pro-Kits and Tokico Illuminas installed, had it aligned and then got the Konig Supermesh (in blue with a machined lip) and Humho SPT's put on. I'll post pics soon (in the appropriate sub forum). The set up looks great. I could not be more pleased with the way the car sits - the small gap just looks great to me.

The bright blue wheels on the white car do stand out and I am warming up to them. I think if the car was the same bright blue it would really look awesome or if the wheels were a darker metallic blue would be better on the white car.

The ride is also great. Right now the Illuminas are set at 3 front and rear. It is riding right now very close to stock - just a bit stiffer.

I have not pushed it yet because I am getting a bit of rubbing - mostly in front, on harder turns. If I am making a right turn at an intersection and there is any kind of inside dip or slope like for a storm drain, the front also rubs. It was worse last night when I was hauling back my old rims and tires. I took them out and it is much better but now I am concerned about loading the car up with a family of five. On big speed bumps (where you are supposed to slow to 25 mph) if I don't slow down to 20 mph or lower I get rubbing from the back more than the front.

I thought I read that the camber was not adjustable (except with a camber kit) but then when it was aligned they gave me numbers showing it was -1.0 at three corners and -1.12 at the back right.
Is camber adjustable on the EJ8? If so maybe I should take it back and have them dial in some more negative camber. I really do not want to take out the liners or roll the fenders. Would a anti-sway bar help? How much will it help to set the Illuminas to 4 front and 3 rear or 5 front and 4 rear? I'd think shock settings would only help on sharp bumps, but if I'm in a long sweeper it will eventually settle down as far as it will want to go.

Quick Reply: Advice sought for suspension components