Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

anti sway bars, front and back or just front?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Default anti sway bars, front and back or just front?

i've had mixed messages whether to put a front and back anti sway bar or just a front on my honda civic hatchback. what should i do?

Old 04-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: anti sway bars, front and back or just front?

well front ya......
rear.... depends on you..... depends onif ya hual stuff......
since my subwoofer box is in the way of my upper strut brace location....
so if anything im just gonna use EVENTUALY use a lower strut brace..

Old 04-27-2007, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

well i think he was talking about sways not strut bars (which btw are much more effective). Umm, it all depends, on how the car is right now, and how you want it to be. Adding sways to either will reduce body rol A LOT. Putting them up front will keep it from diving under hard cornering, but will also increase understeer. A rear one will decrease understeer and increase oversteer. My car comes stock with a front sway, but since I know most civics have an understeer tendency (normal with a front wheel drive), I plan on getting a bigger rear than the factory front to help sway the balance more towards oversteer.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mybrokenblinker

well i think he was talking about sways not strut bars (which btw are much more effective). Umm, it all depends, on how the car is right now, and how you want it to be. Adding sways to either will reduce body rol A LOT. Putting them up front will keep it from diving under hard cornering, but will also increase understeer. A rear one will decrease understeer and increase oversteer. My car comes stock with a front sway, but since I know most civics have an understeer tendency (normal with a front wheel drive), I plan on getting a bigger rear than the factory front to help sway the balance more towards oversteer.
That's simply because they don't serve the same purpose, they are used for different things.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:07 AM
mxs
HCF Member

what car do you have?
chances are you should only do the rear

Old 04-28-2007, 12:43 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

That's simply because they don't serve the same purpose, they are used for different things.
I know, I was pointing out to him that sways are simple more effective and you will notice a bigger result.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:46 AM
HCF Member

^ i know, i was just saying that you can't really compare them in any way considering they're complete different parts. That's like comparing tires to lug nuts, there's no relation.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:27 PM
HCF Member

ok sorry. I just meant he'd notice a bigger difference and get better gains in performance out of sways. but i get what you mean about them being for different things, one for chassis flex and the other for body lean.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:30 PM
HCF Member

ok sorry. I just meant he'd notice a bigger difference and get better gains in performance out of sways. but i get what you mean about them being for different things, one for chassis flex and the other for body lean.
gotcha