Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

AXLES BRAKES... help me..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Default AXLES BRAKES... help me..

im putting on new axles and brakes and rotors today... can any1 tell me how to install..?? i have an idea.. i have a 95 2 door

Old 03-15-2006, 10:04 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: AXLES BRAKES... help me..

Axle
I'm don't know this that well, but ill try to explain it best i can. Jack the car up and get the wheels off. There is a big bolt (32mm i believe) that must be removed. THere is also a lock tab on that bolt. If you look at the axle shaft, it is a circe and there is a spot that is a little depressed. The bolt should be pressed in that spot, you have to "press" it out with a screwdriver, its kind of hard to describe. After you take the bolt out, you have to disconnect the lower control arm. THen you can move the steering knuckle and pop the axle out from the steering knuckle. Then pull the axle out of the trasmission. When you put the new axle in, there is a snap ring type thing on the end of the shaft that goes into the transmission. Make sure that the ring goes into its groove.

Pads and Rotors
Jack the car up and get the wheels off. Remove the bolt on the bottom of the caliper and push up on the caliper. THe caliper should swing up. After the caliper swings up push the caliper in towards the car, this will remove the caliper from the bushing it floats on. After you have removed the caliper you need to remove the bracket that holds the brake pads in place. There are two bolts that hold the bracket in place, they are located behind the steering knuckle, they are rather big. After the bracket is removed the rotor can now come off. The rotor is held in place by two screws, remove the screws. Be very careful because these screws will be rusted on most likely. I use an impact screwdriver, not many ppl have one so be careful. Throw the screws away, they have no purpose. I think your gonna want to change the axle first. Use some caliper greese (they sell it at autozone) on the sides of the pads where they rub on the bracket.

Installation should be reverse of installation.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:09 PM

yeah, for the axles, it isn't to hard, but you might need to unbolt the tie rod end from the knuckle. it is a 32mm nut

Old 03-15-2006, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

I forgot one thing about the brake job. Before you put the pads on, you have to push the brake caliper in. Use a C-Clamp, note that this only work on FRONT calipers that do not have an E-Brake. If you try this on rear calipers with an E-Brake, you will ruin the caliper. The second thing is to put a paper towel in the Master Cylinder and absorb some of the fluid before you push the caliper in. Do this before each caliper. The fluid will be pushed back into the M.C. as you push the caliper in.