Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

best winter tire? which would you chose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default best winter tire? which would you chose?

theres 2 kinds of winter tires ive read about... either some Bridgestone Blizzak which are a winter studless tire... or should i look into some studded tires?

im looking for some strickly winter tires for my 14inch steelies.... i plan on using them for a few years now so want something good for winter use. i do live out in the country alittle bit so like always snow plowing can be.... late if any.LOL

Old 09-16-2008, 06:20 PM

man it must suck having to change tires for winter

Old 09-16-2008, 06:54 PM
HCF Member
Default Bridgestones!

Get the non-studded tires (all 4) and you'll be safe at most speeds. Studded tires will not only tear up the streets, but they will chop your gas mileage alot.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

Frost heave does more damage than studded tired will ever do i personally prefer studded way more grip expectantly if you run in to black ice or the streets are covered in packed snow because the plows couldn't keep and they had to close the main highway for 2 weeks to be able to clear it with back hoes
Aka last winter

Old 09-16-2008, 10:14 PM
HCF Member

Name:  Tires.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  32.1 KB

Right off of Consumer Reports. If you need any other sizes just tell me.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ive never changed tires before myself for winter but every now and then i do slide when i dont want to... ive been thinking of upgrading and getting a set just for winter since i do have a extra set of wheels laying around now with trashy tires on them.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:54 AM
Old 09-17-2008, 06:08 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Jon Steele
Frost heave does more damage than studded tired will ever do i personally prefer studded way more grip expectantly if you run in to black ice or the streets are covered in packed snow because the plows couldn't keep and they had to close the main highway for 2 weeks to be able to clear it with back hoes
Aka last winter

I guess if you live in Alaska, studded tires would make sense, but if not, having chains for really bad weather is the way to go. You don't have to endure poor gas mileage when the roads are clear; that's a big plus when gas is over $3 a gallon.

Look at the tires on the CR chart shown above and pick some that are among the top 3. Michelins are generally super-expensive, whereas Goodyears and Bridgestones are usually reasonably priced.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya my dad keeps say ing that i should get some studded tires he doesnt think that the blizzak tires will have enough traction. ive been thinking of only puting winter tires on the front so i can still have fun when i want..... you know that first snow and a empty parking lot is really irresistible.LOL

Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 AM
HCF Member

I dont know, i had some bad highway experiances not running winter tires on the rear as well as the front. I went to change lanes at about 40 mph and the rear tires caught snow and slid around, i did a 540 on the highway and ended up in the median. ( it was early morning so luckly not a lot of cars) i did have some control though just due to my fronts being the michlen x-ice's. but i'd definatly go with 4 snow tires. I did right after that happened. and they still slid around fine when I wanted em to. :-)

Quick Reply: best winter tire? which would you chose?