Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake noise FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:04 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default Brake noise FIXED

I'll spare you from rereading my brake story again. The short version: I had the rotors turned and put the old pads on. 2 days later it started making noise while braking at low speeds.

My question: is there anything else (other thank the brake pads) that could be making a repeating noise from the front while braking? It's been about 100 miles since the noise started and I had hoped it would have gone away by now. Also I am no longer sure that the sound is coming from the front right wheel. It's definitely coming from the front but it might be coming from somewhere under the car.

Any ideas? I'm starting to get worried.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:41 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Brake noise

Ok, it's still doing it and I still don't know where the noise is coming from.

Allow me to demonstrate as I brake from, say, 25 mph:

bump bump bump bump... thwap.. thwap.......thwap... thwap................ thwap...... thwap.........................scrape

Does that help?
It's now been 200 or so miles since I had the rotors turned.

Add to that a (hopefully unrelated) ricer-fart-can type sound that started yesterday while accelerating (sounds like it might be coming from the cat?) and my car now sounds like it is falling apart. THIS IS NOT GOOD.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be and maybe what I could check out myself?
Thanks in advance
Sincerely,
Your pal Marnie

Old 08-24-2005, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs
bump bump bump bump... thwap.. thwap.......thwap... thwap................ thwap...... thwap.........................scrape
Hi Marnie! Great sound effects there, but I still can't tell you anything from that. It could literally be almost anything. Or even a combination of things.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Yeah, that's the next best thing to a sound clip. I guess...

Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 AM

take it to a shop usaully it take them a couple of tries and by this time they've fixed 2 other things too free of charge b/c when you pickl up the car they usaully say it's fixed

Old 08-25-2005, 08:45 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs
Add to that a (hopefully unrelated) ricer-fart-can type sound that started yesterday while accelerating (sounds like it might be coming from the cat?) and my car now sounds like it is falling apart.
edit, the exhaust is now in 2 pieces

Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Cat Fuсker

Inspect you exhaust...something probably rotted off..

Old 08-26-2005, 04:47 PM
mxs
HCF Member

BUMP because the brakes are still making noise...

(exhaust problem fixed though)

Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 PM

Are the brakes still makin the same noise, or is it different. If it's a high-pitched noise (like a squeal), it could be that the pads have glazed over, in which you have to remove them and rough them up with sand paper or something.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:50 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Well no it's not really a squeal, but you might be on to something. I'm thinking maybe some of the pad material tansferred to the rotor, maybe from coming to a stop too quickly (and holding the brakes) when the rotors were "new" (even though I tried not to do that). Maybe I'll hit the pads and rotors with some sandpaper. Won't be until later though, because my roommate is using the driveway today. (it's only fair, I've been hogging it on saturdays for 2 months now )

Quick Reply: Brake noise FIXED