Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes suddenly not working- 2000 Honda Civic EX

  #1  
Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Default Brakes suddenly not working- 2000 Honda Civic EX

I just bought a 2000 Honda Civic Ex with ~108K miles. The rear brakes were adjusted last week. I drove for around 20 miles without any issues and after about a 15 minute drive the brakes suddenly gave up and needed to be floored all the way for the car to stop. The Brake light is on but the brake fluid resvervoir is full. Can anyway tell me what could be possibly wrong here?
 
  #2  
Old 03-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Turtlegrip's Avatar
HCF Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 485
Default

Originally Posted by amistry View Post
I just bought a 2000 Honda Civic Ex with ~108K miles. The rear brakes were adjusted last week. I drove for around 20 miles without any issues and after about a 15 minute drive the brakes suddenly gave up and needed to be floored all the way for the car to stop. The Brake light is on but the brake fluid resvervoir is full. Can anyway tell me what could be possibly wrong here?
Eks do not have rear brakes stock, those are the ebrakes, anyway you probably just need to bleed your brakes. If that doesnt work then post back here...

HCF

Civic Club

Youtube
 
  #3  
Old 03-09-2012, 01:31 PM
cvcrcr99's Avatar
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DUB Caeser
Posts: 7,186
Default

Turtle, the drums on the rears of our cars should have a bleeder bolt on it to bleed any air out. Seeing that shows that brake fluid does go back there to stop the car when you press on the brakes. If there were no "brakes" in the rear except the cable driven e-brake, you would only have 3 hard lines near the prop valve and not 5. I had a 92 VX hatch a little while ago and I broke the bleeder bolt of the rear driver side drum. THAT was a lot of fun to deal with, let me tell ya. The pedal started just going to the floor with no braking power at all since fluid was leaking out.

OP, the only thing I can think of would be to have the brakes re-bled. Pushing all the way to the floor with no pedal pressure is a sign of low fluid, leaking fluid, or air in the system I would imagine. Since you are noting that the master cylinder is still full, I am assuming air is trapped in the system.

EDIT - Normally, you do not have to bleed the rear brakes. Usually, only the fronts need to be done FYI, but I would suggest looking into bleeding all four corners of the car if needed.
 

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 03-09-2012 at 01:45 PM.
  #4  
Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Turtlegrip's Avatar
HCF Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 485
Default

So the drum brake actually does engage a little when using the brake pedal? I had no idea >_>
 
  #5  
Old 03-10-2012, 04:29 AM
StifflersMom's Avatar
Cat Fuсker
Join Date: Nov 1978
Location: The Moon
Posts: 6,804
Default

Originally Posted by Turtlegrip View Post
So the drum brake actually does engage a little when using the brake pedal? I had no idea >_>
Dude... I have no words. Seriously, you must be female or something.
 
  #6  
Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Thank you everyone for replying. I showed it to our mechanic and he replaced the master cylinder and its working fine now. If I had seen the replies earlier I would have tried bleeding the brakes first

Also the mechanic charged me 120$ for replacing the master cylinder is that reasonable?
 
  #7  
Old 03-10-2012, 10:52 AM
HCF Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 105
Default

Originally Posted by amistry View Post
Thank you everyone for replying. I showed it to our mechanic and he replaced the master cylinder and its working fine now. If I had seen the replies earlier I would have tried bleeding the brakes first

Also the mechanic charged me 120$ for replacing the master cylinder is that reasonable?
That's labor, parts and all included? If yes, I'd say that's a fair price. I know I've charged 3x that on some cars to change a brake MC and do all the bleeding to make the new one work as expected. Granted these little hondas are a little easier than a big-body 70s plymouth ....
 
  #8  
Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Default

thats a relief!

Thank you all !!!
 
  #9  
Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Turtlegrip's Avatar
HCF Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 485
Default

Originally Posted by StifflersMom View Post
Dude... I have no words. Seriously, you must be female or something.
Obviously no useful words.
 
  #10  
Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Hey Guys,
Even thought the brakes work fine now, the brake light has come on again. What could be the reason for this. I just hope it doesn't mean my brakes are screwed again!
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes suddenly not working- 2000 Honda Civic EX


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.