Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

camber issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:43 PM
HCF Member
Default camber issue?

Hey,

I recently put the 17's I have on my '00 EX coupe and I noticed that the rear tires were very worn on the insides, I got them like this from the previous owner, and when I put the rims on I noticed that the rear wheels were tilted inward slightly at the top and thats why they are wearing so much. (The front wheels sit normally) When I asked the mechanic at work he thought it was just the way the suspension was, the car is not lowered and the suspension is stock. Also when I took it to get it inspected in March, the mechanic didnt say anything about it. Everything feels tight in the rear end and I am just not sure wether I should make an appointment to have someone look at it because I am not sure this is normal. Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thanks a lot!

- Craig

Old 06-19-2006, 10:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: camber issue?

ya its kinda hard to tell if there already worn from the previous owner, and when you brought it in, they probably didnt say anything if thats not what they were looking for..i no they tilt a LITTLE but nothing big, personally..bring it into a shop and get it looked at, it might cost you $30 for them to look at it, but its better then wearing throught your tires if there is a problem

Old 06-27-2006, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

I took it to my mechanic and he said something is wrong in the rear end and that he would need to have it to look at it and put it on an alignment rack. He also thought that someone may have hit it in a parking lot because the rear bumper clips are broken and maybe the trailing arms got bent....I hope not, especially since I have not hit anything since I bought it in March but maybe something happened before I got it, idk. Anyway, I'll update when I hear back from next week after he looks at it.

- Craig

Old 06-30-2006, 11:38 PM
HCF Member

First off, cmfmets, your mechanic doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. if your rear trailing arms are bent from a wreck, then your car should probably be totalled from an impact that severe. Second of all, it is actually good to ride your tires with a little negative camber. If your alignment is all squared up, then your ride is going to fill like ****. so in my opinion concerning the rear is that you shouldn't worry about it. With your larger wheels, the tire-to-ground surface is just going to be much more noticable. But if you are that concerned about it, just install a shim kit and that will make all better!

Old 07-06-2006, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

The only reason I was worried about it was because the tires on the bigger rims are wearing really unevenly on the insides and I dont want to put new tires on them and ruin them too, so I wanted to have it checked out. The shim kit will just square the wheels up I assume? Any idea where I could find one, thanks!

- Craig

Old 07-07-2006, 12:16 AM
HCF Member

If the tires are already wearing rapidly then it's not a major issue of camber, but probably your toe is off in the rear. And to the matter of the shim kit, I'm in the process of getting a set, I just don't have the time to do it. so if you see a set for a deal, let me know.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:04 AM

i didnt think the rear toe was adjustable.. and usually toe will wear out tires pretty evenly. it sounds like a camber problem. and if it was mine, i would just put a washer behind each bolt on the upper control arm.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:26 AM

its the camber. my car did the exact same thing. The inside of the tires would wear a lot faster than the outside. I bought a camber kit and let the dealer put it on and adjust the camber and now its just fine. i say that is what u need to do. You have to get a camber kit though, they cant just adjust the camber without one.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:23 PM
HCF Member

c'mon guys.... go get a couple washers, remove the upper support bolts, one at a time, insert one or two washers betweeen the arm and the body, and... wait, on second thought just bring your ride to me, ill fix you up for 100 bucks each... lol

Old 07-08-2006, 04:46 PM
HCF Member

ok so my tires in the front are wearing really bad on the VERY insides...not like the outter inside but like the damn inside wall.Do i even need a camber kit or can i do like what you said jwsimons and just put some washers in there???? i finally have them starting to go bad after almost 2yrs now. i have 18's with 35 series tires.....if that helps at all.

Quick Reply: camber issue?