Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

cant drive in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 AM
HCF Member
Default cant drive in snow

is it the way im driving..or is it my tires...because i cant seem to drive in the snow...i mean at all...on a flat surface with 1/2 inch of snow my tires just soin..the thread on them are good...might it be that they are to wide...any suggestions..the car is stick also..tire size are 195/60/15

Old 01-09-2009, 10:42 AM

Is there ice underneath the snow?

What kind of tires do you have? (i.e. summer, all-season, snow)

Old 01-09-2009, 11:44 AM
HCF Member

Don't stomp the gas in your car or all you're going to do is create ice underneath your tires and you'll really be ****ed. try the floor mat trick aka take your floor mat and shove it infront of your tire and the floor mat will give you traction if you're stuck. Also if you're having trouble at going from a stop try starting in 2nd.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

Winter is an exercise in clutch and throttle control. You need to ease teh power on VERY gently or you will spin. Also, since your car is FWD NEVER apply power in the apex of a corner, you will under steer (IE go straight relative to the which way the front of the car is) and usually end up in teh other lane and car if it is there.

Your tires are not too wide, it simply sound like you are being too aggressive.

Also, try to keep it under 3k RPM, too much torque and you will loose what little grip you have.

Also, consider winter tires on a set of steelies.

Personally I find my car is tail happy in the snow and if I turn too fast teh back end swings out.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:25 PM
HCF Member

the rims are those 15 spoke OEM rims from the 01+02 civics...and my car is 92 lx...on a flat surface they spin...and i try not to put to much power(new stick driver) when takin off..but then if i dont put enough the car sputters and starts to shake..aka stall...and no there is no ice underneath...and i beleive they are all season..they are the michelin weatherwise..something like that...

Old 01-09-2009, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

You might want to read my reply to this post:

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=72366

When it comes to traction in snow, tires are EVERYTHING. Some are very good and others are very bad. When I was living in CT, I prefered all-season, since pure Winter tires usually sacrifice dry road handling quite a bit.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Reaper's Rules for Inclement Weather:

1) Easy on the throttle
2) Baby the clutch
3) Easy on the brakes
4) First is for suckers; start in second (less wheel spin)
5) If in an automatic, manually select 2nd or D3
6) Slow and steady wins the race; I just got done driving 15 miles home in 4" of fresh powder; I averaged 30 in a 55. Granted, that's in a rwd mustang with an LSD and a 3.73 rear end gear, but still.
7) Downshift during deceleration (technically you're supposed to do this anyway, but if you're like me it's neutral and a coast to a stop on dry pavement)
8) Rev-match your downshifts if you don't already; you don't need the fronts locking up, do you?
9) Easy on the tight turns; it's easy to end up on the side of the road
10) Tires are everything
11) Don't tailgate. Actually, take the 4 second gap you're supposed to maintain and double it.
12) Brake at least 50-75% earlier than you normally would
13) If you don't have ABS, learn how to pump the brakes

-aaaaaaand-

14) Don't spend more than 3 minutes screwing around in one spot. LEOs don't like donuts, and careless driving tickets suck.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:24 AM
HCF Member

the only problem that i have it taking off when stopped...while going i have no problem at all..the car handles good..(because i am driving carefully) just taking off is a PIA..is there anything a do different when taking off in second...and what exactly do i do when i down shift?i kno i go a gear lower but do i push the gas...or just let go of the clutch..(sorry for such stupid questions..only been driving stick for like 3 months)

Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Angry Admin

ok downshift, ease off clutch as u r easing off blip the throttle to bring your revs up and you should have a much smoother downshift.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM
HCF Member

I'm rarely downshifting without rev matching personally.. I feel like I'm killing my clutch / tranny if I don't.

Last edited by xsteinbachx; 01-10-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply: cant drive in snow