Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

cant get my damn drums off

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:10 PM
HCF Member
Default cant get my damn drums off

went to change my shoes today and i cant get the rear drums off my 92 civic. i know you just tighten a 12mm bolt into the holes, one is working but the other is stripped. anyone have any idea how to get a bolt through that stripped hole, or another way to get the drum off? please help!! thanks

Old 08-16-2008, 01:24 PM
HCF Member

hit them very hard with a hammer... no really.. it sounds like a joke but it really does work and is fine.. hit the face of them as well as all around the sides... hit them really hard, after a few hits see how much they wiggle.. then hit some more..

i hate drum brakes.. i wish someone would make a low-budget disc conversion just to avoid working on drums.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:39 PM
HCF Member

get a blow back hammer (rubber hammer) tap it a few times.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:33 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ej6buddy
get a blow back hammer (rubber hammer) tap it a few times.
+1... that's what i used. just hit around and on the face of the drum. may take a while, just be patient.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

Rubber mallet: one of a mechanic's most useful tools

Old 08-16-2008, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

lol, seems simple enough. i started hitting but i figured there would be a technical way to do it but guess not. lol ill try this tomorrow thanks for the help guys

Old 08-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya no quick way if those threads strip out just keep at it.... you can alays replace the drums right now so if ya ever change pads again you wont have to go thru this hassle again.
also make sure your Ebrake is off.LOL ive done it before and i didnt know why they wouldnt come off... and when i looked and saw i left the ebrake handle up i kicked my own @ss....

Old 08-16-2008, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
also make sure your Ebrake is off.LOL ive done it before and i didnt know why they wouldnt come off... and when i looked and saw i left the ebrake handle up i kicked my own @ss....
and that is why you're a noob, lol, j/k, sounds like something I would do when i'm in a hurry.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

LOL ya been there done it ONCE. at least it was on a manual civic! my auto i never pull the ebrake unless its in winter around a ice covered turn

just price some new drums if they are in bad shape internally..... sometimes its only slightly more to buy new ones than pay to have them turned/smoothed out, and sometimes its alot more for new drums doesnt hurt to price some new ones at least.

ive never had this problem on any other vehicle. only hondas i think really need those 2 bolts for easy removal.... hel my old 66impala its drums all the way around. all it takes is a hammer and they all come right off very easy. ive spent 1/2hour before geting one drum off a old crx i had before i learned about the 2bolts.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:18 AM
HCF Member

ya my ebrake was on too haha! good thing i figured it out before too much banging lol. i got it off and the pad on my brake shoes just fell right off. i went and bought new shoes but now i cant even get the shoes off, cant get the ****in ebrake disconnected. man its about to pour down raining over here...

Quick Reply: cant get my damn drums off