HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   Change rims (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/change-rims-72171/)

civic_eg_ls 12-15-2008 08:29 AM

Change rims

So i change rims on my car and now my steering wheel moves alot so i put back my old wheels but it still does the same and when i drive my car go to the side so i have to grab my steering wheel harder...why did this happen and what can i do to fix it?

GReddy_Civic 12-15-2008 04:29 PM

i can think of three possible reasons
1. your car is out of alignment which is probably the most likely
2. your wheels need balanced
3. for some reason you didnt tighten the lugs properly or not enough, but i think that by switching back to your old ones that wouldnt be it.
If its not this stuff then its a suspension problem

addiction2bass 12-15-2008 06:11 PM

so your cars pulling... that would be alignment issue

or if its vibrating... either balance the wheels or you didng torque down the wheels properly o rmaybe used the wrong lug nuts and the inside tip is not seating properly flat.

civic_eg_ls 12-15-2008 06:22 PM

i tight them up really good...my steering vibrates like you said^^ i think my car needs alignment

addiction2bass 12-15-2008 06:30 PM

well vibrating is more tire ballance....

did you properly tighten the wheels? torqueing them down properly side to side.... not just tightening one all the way tight and then doing the next.... just an idea... if its just vibrating then id vote to get the wheels ballanced.

civic_eg_ls 12-15-2008 06:55 PM

okay thanks alot i will get them checked out cuz i dont like driving my car like that

Kommando 01-01-2009 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by civic_eg_ls (Post 610519)
So i change rims on my car and now my steering wheel moves alot so i put back my old wheels but it still does the same and when i drive my car go to the side so i have to grab my steering wheel harder...why did this happen and what can i do to fix it?

You might have overly/improperly torqued the lugs and bent a rotor. Pull the wheels and spin the rotors to check lateral runout. If a rotor is bent, you will want to replace it.

Always use a torque wrench and torque specs when tightening nuts and bolts. Always tighten and loosen lugs in a gradual criss-cross pattern too. Finger-tighten in criss-cross, then torque them with the torque wrench, only torquing each fastener a bit at a time before moving on to the next. You basically don't want any one lug torqued much tighter or looser than the others.

addiction2bass 01-02-2009 01:41 AM

well ive never seen a bent rotor from tightening the lugs.... the lugs will snap long before anything is bent!

civicexracer 01-02-2009 01:43 PM

if the steering wheel is vibrating, its most likely the wheels are out of balance. if it vibrates only when braking, then the rotors are warped. but since u said this started happening when you put your old wheels on, its highly likely they just need to be rebalanced.

Justin13 01-02-2009 01:57 PM

same thing happend to me and i looked at my tires and there was a BIG ASS lump in one of them. (i need to stop burning em)