HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/)
-   -   Coilovers and spring question?? HELP (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/suspension-brakes-tires-wheels-14/coilovers-spring-question-help-16602/)

SITNLOW97 02-06-2006 09:20 PM

Coilovers and spring question?? HELP

Ok imfixing to drop my 99 civic with 17's about 3 inches!! And ive heard alot of bad stuff about coilovers!! Anyways so i was just gonna get drop spings but with doing that di i have buy a front and back camber kit to get it alligned perfect or do i not need one? Also keep in mind with the drop i want it to ride descent too!! Any help??

SITNLOW97 02-06-2006 09:21 PM

RE: Coilovers and spring question?? HELP

Also what kind of spings do u suggest for a good price and where to get them? And also should i just use the stock sruts or get new ones!! Keep in mind this is on a limited budget??

ef4life 02-06-2006 09:25 PM

17s won't give you a good ride. if you go that low you need a camber kit front and rear. if you are planning on 3 inches you will also need aftermarket shocks like koni, tokico, or bilstein. but whatever you do don't buy cheap crappy springs or coilovers that are like 20 dollars. and make sure to get a good alignment front and rear

you will also have bumpsteer that low, but that is only a real propblem if you have bad roads

ef4life 02-06-2006 09:31 PM

i had skunk2 coilover sleeves on my del sol and tokico blues and it was lowered about 3 inches. it rode nice with 15s.

being on a budget, you don't want to spend a lot of money where its not needed, so don't buy adjustable shocks/struts unless you plan on racing your car, because you will save a lot of money.

so i can recommend skunk 2, omnipower, and koni, tokico, and bilstein. these are all high quality products and may cost a little more, but are worth the price paid. also look at spc or omnipower for camber kits too.

SITNLOW97 02-06-2006 09:39 PM

can some one tell me the best place to get the springs and camber kits??

SITNLOW97 02-06-2006 09:44 PM

also can i not drop it with stock struts??

ef4life 02-06-2006 09:54 PM

you can drop it with the stock struts, but they won't last long. try missionspeed and warr enterprises, both are contributers to the forum, they can get you a good deal on parts.

naucrx 02-07-2006 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: SITNLOW97

Ok imfixing to drop my 99 civic with 17's about 3 inches!! And ive heard alot of bad stuff about coilovers!! Anyways so i was just gonna get drop spings but with doing that di i have buy a front and back camber kit to get it alligned perfect or do i not need one? Also keep in mind with the drop i want it to ride descent too!! Any help??
What bad things have you heard about coilovers? IMO they are the way to go. I'm talking the full damper kits, not the "coilover" sleeves.

I don't think you're going to get any "decent ride" with a 3" drop and 17" wheels. If you want your tires to last you more than 10,000 miles plan on getting a camber kit for both front and rear as well as a proper alignment.;)

SITNLOW97 02-07-2006 07:57 PM

well i decided to only go about 2' drop with springs!! And yes i was talking about i heard bad things about the cheap ass sleeves coilovers!! But can i use stock struts with like a 2' drop and get a descent ride??

Big T 02-07-2006 08:04 PM

Let me come in here. How low could you drop it before you start losing comfortability, an 1", maybe 1.5"?

naucrx 02-08-2006 11:08 AM

well i decided to only go about 2' drop with springs!! And yes i was talking about i heard bad things about the cheap ass sleeves coilovers!! But can i use stock struts with like a 2' drop and get a descent ride??
Okay, whew... I was gonna say, how could anyone not like coilovers?! lol If you've got the money I highly recommend them. I went from a KYB/lowering spring setup to Tein SS dampers on my EG and it was like night and day. I will never own another sport compact car without a coilover suspension.

You should be fine with a 2" drop on some springs and still have a decent ride. Just take 'er easy over speed bumps and such and your stock struts will last longer. :)

SITNLOW97 02-08-2006 11:44 AM

So im guessing i will still need a camber kit with like a 1.5 to 2 inch drop even if i get it aligned??

SITNLOW97 02-08-2006 11:46 AM

hey naucrx, how much did ur coilover setup cost and where did u get it?

naucrx 02-08-2006 12:33 PM

So im guessing i will still need a camber kit with like a 1.5 to 2 inch drop even if i get it aligned??
Yeah, you will definitely need a camber kit with a drop like that if you want your tires to last. Without one you can at least correct the toe with an alignment so your tires will last a little bit longer. Plan on having to flip-flop tires at least once if you skip the camber kit. My car is dropped about 1.75 inches and I've got -2 degrees camber up front and -1 in the rear after an alignment. I like the way the car handles and rides though so I think I will leave it as-is and skip the camber kit. My tires probably won't last more than 20,000 miles though, but that's all right with me.

hey naucrx, how much did ur coilover setup cost and where did u get it?
I got the Tein SS coilovers on eBay for $400!! I spent about 3 weeks on there searching like a madman until I found them. They are used but in perfect working order. The only thing wrong with them is the green paint is coming off where they attach to the spindles. I think they were still a smoking deal though! If I remember right they run about $900 new on eBay. But IMO they are well worth $900.

ef4life 02-08-2006 12:38 PM

yeah a camber kit is always a good idea even when your not lowering your car a lot. omni power has good coilovers for like 650 dollars, tein basics start at like 750. the super streets will run 1000-1400 depending on car but are efdc compatible

SITNLOW97 02-08-2006 01:42 PM

so these coilovers ur talkin about include the strut too right?

ef4life 02-08-2006 01:49 PM

yeah full coilovers from omnipower are like 650 at http://www.passwordjdm.com/prodtype....ageHistory=cat they also have some camber stuff and aluminum lower control arms. all tein stuff is really good stuff well worth the price

dj_ipirate 02-08-2006 01:54 PM

i herd coilovers give you "rice bounce" or is that only when you put them on a stock suspention, or what?

SITNLOW97 02-08-2006 01:57 PM

The only ones i seen on that site are like 850, im i just not seeing them or what??

SITNLOW97 02-08-2006 01:59 PM

i know the coilover sleeves are bouncy as hell but the all in one coilovers are great as ive heard!!

ef4life 02-08-2006 02:05 PM

the ef ones are 650, they must have raised the price for the newer civics, sorry for the miss information