Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Coilovers and spring question?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:20 PM
HCF Member
Default Coilovers and spring question?? HELP

Ok imfixing to drop my 99 civic with 17's about 3 inches!! And ive heard alot of bad stuff about coilovers!! Anyways so i was just gonna get drop spings but with doing that di i have buy a front and back camber kit to get it alligned perfect or do i not need one? Also keep in mind with the drop i want it to ride descent too!! Any help??

Old 02-06-2006, 09:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Coilovers and spring question?? HELP

Also what kind of spings do u suggest for a good price and where to get them? And also should i just use the stock sruts or get new ones!! Keep in mind this is on a limited budget??

Old 02-06-2006, 09:25 PM

17s won't give you a good ride. if you go that low you need a camber kit front and rear. if you are planning on 3 inches you will also need aftermarket shocks like koni, tokico, or bilstein. but whatever you do don't buy cheap crappy springs or coilovers that are like 20 dollars. and make sure to get a good alignment front and rear

you will also have bumpsteer that low, but that is only a real propblem if you have bad roads

Old 02-06-2006, 09:31 PM

i had skunk2 coilover sleeves on my del sol and tokico blues and it was lowered about 3 inches. it rode nice with 15s.

being on a budget, you don't want to spend a lot of money where its not needed, so don't buy adjustable shocks/struts unless you plan on racing your car, because you will save a lot of money.

so i can recommend skunk 2, omnipower, and koni, tokico, and bilstein. these are all high quality products and may cost a little more, but are worth the price paid. also look at spc or omnipower for camber kits too.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

can some one tell me the best place to get the springs and camber kits??

Old 02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

also can i not drop it with stock struts??

Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 PM

you can drop it with the stock struts, but they won't last long. try missionspeed and warr enterprises, both are contributers to the forum, they can get you a good deal on parts.

Old 02-07-2006, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: SITNLOW97

Ok imfixing to drop my 99 civic with 17's about 3 inches!! And ive heard alot of bad stuff about coilovers!! Anyways so i was just gonna get drop spings but with doing that di i have buy a front and back camber kit to get it alligned perfect or do i not need one? Also keep in mind with the drop i want it to ride descent too!! Any help??
What bad things have you heard about coilovers? IMO they are the way to go. I'm talking the full damper kits, not the "coilover" sleeves.

I don't think you're going to get any "decent ride" with a 3" drop and 17" wheels. If you want your tires to last you more than 10,000 miles plan on getting a camber kit for both front and rear as well as a proper alignment.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

well i decided to only go about 2' drop with springs!! And yes i was talking about i heard bad things about the cheap *** sleeves coilovers!! But can i use stock struts with like a 2' drop and get a descent ride??

Old 02-07-2006, 08:04 PM

Let me come in here. How low could you drop it before you start losing comfortability, an 1", maybe 1.5"?

Quick Reply: Coilovers and spring question?? HELP