Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Combination wheel/tire weights

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:48 PM
HCF Member
Default Combination wheel/tire weights

Seeing that I am pretty much limiting my upgrade wheel sizes to 15 or 16, I decided to see just how much weight I would gain.....or would I gain any......?

Stock setup: 185/65/14s tires = 20 lbs each, steelie wheels = 14 lbs so total = 34 lbs

15-inch upgrade: 205/50/15 tires = 18 lbs, wheels = 12 lbs sototal = 30 lbs

16-inch upgrade: 205/45/16 tires = 17 lbs, wheels = 14.5 lbsso total weight = 31.5 lbs

As you can see, either upgrade is going to be lighter than what I have now. Okay, now the cost differences:

15-inch upgrade: tires = $62x4=$248 (General Exclaim UHP) + $400 Rotas = $648

16-inch upgrade: tires = $66x4=$264 (same brand) + $440 Rotas = $704

I am now leaning towards the 16s, since there would be no weight penalty compared to stock.

These donut 14s are bothering me, every time I take a corner faster than an old lady does. Still, after taxes, a $250 CAI, and Magnaflow cat-back, the total is not small stuff!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Combination wheel/tire weights

Please don't buy crappy tires! It's a waste of good wheels!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

crap tires = [:'(]

and the tire weights are going to be off depending on the tire material, they don't all weigh the same according to size.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

The tire weights were taken from Tirerack's listings for General's tires. I spoke to a Tire rack guy yesterday and he told me that General is surprising many people with their latest tires. They are actually getting very high marks for performance.
If price were no object, the Goodyear GS D3s would be my first choice. However, if I spend everthing on tires and wheels, the CAI and Magnaflow cat-back purchases may have to be put off for a year or so. BF Goodrich makes a decent tire as well, but they would add another $80 to the total.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: conceptualpolymer
BF Goodrich makes a decent tire as well, but they would add another $80 to the total.
BF Goodrich--->[sm=laughat.gif]<---General Tire

and the reason general tire is getting better than in the past is b/c they're under new management, and you'll see that as soon as they realease their new company symbol and objective ("GT"). but still not that great, the reason they're getting rave reviews is because they're cheap, and high performance, but not high quality and do not last long enough due to their tread rating.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

Well, people said the same thing about Avon tires and they've proven to be really good performance tires. By the way, I believe the tread wear rating on the Generals is 380. Now THAT'S not bad for a V-rated tire. Here's some reviewer's comments:

After a flat tire due to puncture on my Bridgestone Potenzas. I bought two rear tires for my S2000. I went with the ratings from consumers and tried the General UHP. Fantastic tires. Incredible grip. Very quiet. Very "gummy". But a 380 tread wear. I was so impressed with the rears that I replaced the "OEM" fronts. I was also in a torrential Arkansas freeway downpour . Using proper caution I never lost traction. Fantastic tire for any price.
I just replaced my Bridgestone Potenza runflats on my Z4 and could not believe the ride difference. These tires everything everone says. Good looking on the car, quiet, and handle very well. The price is amazing even here in Atlantic Canada where tire prices for this size tire are well above 200$. These tires made the car so much more enjoyable to drive. I covered a thousand miles over the Cabot Trail the past 3 days in both warm and wet weather and the tires were great in all conditions. I encourage anyone to try them and they will not be disappointed. If they wear as good as people say they will be my next set also. These tires are made in France, probably by Continental which now owns General.
WOW! I have to post this for any potential tire buyers out there that could use the info; Ill do a follow-up review once I get more miles and more complete driving experiences on these tires. That said... have NO fear with these tires about whether youre going to get better tires by spending more $$$. Im not doing auto-X, but lets just say I stretch the legs on my VR6 Jetta on a daily basis out on the freeways of Atlanta as well as some city surface streets. These tires are ABSOTIVELY Awesome!!I am looking forward to the first time in the rain because they have exceeded my dreams so far on dry surface. These tires are exceptionally smooth and SO-o-o-o-o- quite... a huge upgrade over the tires that came on the car (AVS 100s)!!! Oh yeah, they also look great on the Jetta as well!!You wont give up a thing compared to tires almost twice as much $$$ in my opinion!!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:06 PM

the problem with those reviews is that their comparing these tires toreally crappy tires so of course they'll say its an upgrade. also if the thread rating is higher, the compound of the tire will probably not be as soft which means it probably wont grip as much. tho, it'll last longer.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:19 PM
HCF Member

Do you reallythink that Bridgestone Potenzas are crappy tires????

Old 08-14-2007, 07:30 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Which ones? I had RE92's for a while and they were total crap!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:08 PM
HCF Member

According to this test,

November, 2003 issue of Consumer Reports:

1) Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3
2) Toyo Proxies T1-S
3) Continental ContiSportContact 2
4) Michelin Pilot Sport
5) Dunlop SP Sport 9000
6) Pirelli PZero Nero
7) Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position
8) Hankook Ventus Sport K104
9) Yokohama AVS ES100
10) BFGoodrich g-Force TA KDW
11) Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP
12) Kuhmo ECSTA Supra 712
13) Sumitomo HTRZ II

I'd say the "crappy tires" are the Kuhmos and Sumitomos. The Bridgestones did fairly well.

Those are the Bridgestones that most enthusiests buy.

Quick Reply: Combination wheel/tire weights