Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

considering rims...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 AM
HCF Member
Default considering rims...

im considering getting some rims when i get some cash for my car but i don't know what size to get because i don't want to get ones that are too big for my Civ. i like the low profile look but istill wanna be able to HANDLE like i do in my car, but hopefully better. is it better to go with some 15's and have some fat tires or get 17s..lemme know what you guys think.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:05 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: considering rims...

Rims =

WHEELS =

I'd ****** up some 16's, nice compromise of looks and function.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 AM
HCF Member

ditto, go with 15" for maximum functionality. That's what I'll get when it comes time, but i'll even admit 16 looks better, and im getting 15's.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:30 AM
HCF Member

i just got some 16's but havent put them on yet. 16 looks good because looks bigger than stock, but still looks clean

Old 07-11-2007, 09:09 AM
HCF Member

out of you guys what do you feel is the BEST tire for DD but still is very sticky and handles well with good tread life. basically best all around tire for dicking around on freeway on ramps but still will last me a while but is UHP

Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 AM
HCF Member

Does UHP stand for ultra high performance? If it does, 15 inch does not (in my opinion)

Old 07-11-2007, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

17"s look great (IMO) with a drop, but the ride is super rough, 16"s are (like Tony said) a great balance of looks and functionality, 15"s will perform good but wont look good at all IMO (same goes for 14"s)

Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

well yeah i guess what would be the best all around tire for DD but still has a good performance edge to it. i'm thinkin of getting some cheap rims to throw on for now and switch in some better 16's later... i'd do 17s but i'd like a smoother ride.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Old 07-11-2007, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: johnb

out of you guys what do you feel is the BEST tire for DD but still is very sticky and handles well with good tread life. basically best all around tire for dicking around on freeway on ramps but still will last me a while but is UHP
You didn't say what Civic you have. Pre-'06 models usually run smaller wheels than the new Civics.

For a pre-'06, I'd go with a lightweight 16 for the best combination of weight, handling,ride, and aesthetics. 14s and 15s will often weigh less, but some 16s are lighter than stock and with 14s or 15s you'll typically be running a tire with a taller sidewall. Taller sidewalls usually mean better ride but worse sidewall deflection when cornering. I run 195/60-14s, which look like little donuts on my '00 sedan. You'll want bigger rims if you're going for looks at all.

You didn't say whether you wanted a summer UHP or all-season UHP tire. You'll be best off with summer UHP tires on 16" alloysand a winter set of something like a Blizzak WS-50 on 14" steelies if you get regular snowsin the winter. Running the taller profile in the winter lets you go skinnier for better bite, or air down for better flotation.

Check out the ratings, reviews, and specs of tires at www.tirerack.com. The General Exclaim UHP comes in 205/45-16 for $64US, has pretty high mfr. ratings for traction and wear, and seems to get good reviews. I run inexpensive Yoko Avid H4Ss, which are all-season HP tires with excellent traction/wear ratings, and my stock VP sedan stays pretty glued.I actually get bodyroll inthe rain while the tires still have a lot of grip left, and their resistance to hydroplaning is unreal. Snow seems to be their only weakness,but they will pull the Civic through flat-ground snow up to the airdam.

Quick Reply: considering rims...