Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

control arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Default control arms

Just want to know what are the symptoms that the control arm needs changing, also how many are there, is there a way to check/ test ifthey are still good?

reason is I have a problem with my steering on a 97 civic coupe, and no one seems to be able to figure it, so i am just trying to pin point or rule out certain things on my own.
thanks.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:41 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: control arms

what's the problem?

Old 04-22-2007, 07:27 AM

Problem is that sometimes when driving on at a low speed around 15km/h, the steering is extremely light. I have to turn it back and forth a few times to get it to feel as it should be. Also there is sometimes a delay between turning the steering wheel and the wheels actually responding. Other times while on an uneven surface, the surface seems to cause the wheels to pull really hard to the left and right. I had an alignment which and mechanics say they found nothing wrong with the steering system. Before when driving on an uneven surface, the car would just go over the bumps etc straight once i was holding the steering. Now the wheels tend to want to pull the steering out of my hand. I really have to fight to keep it in control. Funny thing is on smooth surface at high speed, the steering is almost perfect.
Any help appreciated.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Cat Fuсker

inspect the bushings on the control arms, if one is worn the control arm will move slightly. Are you sure the problem is not with your steerring?

Old 04-22-2007, 10:36 AM

To be honest i have no idea what the problem is.
All/ any suggestions at would be grateful

Old 04-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Cat Fuсker

jack one side of the car up and try wiggiling the wheel by grabbing it on the tire. Repeat on the other side. Report the findings here.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:11 AM

will try that this afternoon, is it possible that the steering fluid may need changing?

Old 04-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Cat Fuсker

Is the level ok?

Old 04-22-2007, 01:00 PM

the level is fine, but could it be that the fluid is old or dirty and may be interfering with smooth operation of the system?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:56 PM

i jacked up each side and there is no side to side nor up and down play. I forgot to mention too that sometimes whenturning and the steering goes light, if i let it go it does not return to the center on its own. The car would just try to drive in a circle.

Any input or comments to assist are greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: control arms