Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

do i need a camber kit???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Default do i need a camber kit???

I just bought a set of TEIN S-Tech lowering springs, 1.9"drop in front and 1.7" drop in the rear. Will i need a camber kit so my tires wont wear hard on the inside corners? or are the camber kits just for extreme drops like 3"-4"? right now i have 205/40/ZR17's so i know i will be tucking them a little bit, i just wanna buy new tires every 3 months. any info would be great thanks!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: do i need a camber kit???

if u are lowerin your civic a camber kit wouldn't hurt. It is true it will stop the corners from wearing but you have an oversized tire dont u?

Old 10-26-2007, 06:41 AM
mxs
HCF Member

NO, read the stickies, and get an alignment when you're done

Old 10-26-2007, 04:35 PM
HCF Member

Align what..... ? do a toe adjustment?

Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Toe is the only thing that CAN be adjusted from the factory on our cars.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:10 PM
HCF Member

Eibach seems to think that they are necessary.....

After the installation of either an Eibach Pro-Kit or Sportline spring set, a vehicles' alignment should always be checked. Once lowered, a wheel's camber may become "increasingly negative," meaning the top of the tire is angled inward (toward the center of the vehicle). While some "negative" camber aids in improving traction and road adhesion, too much can result in peculiar handling and accelerated tire wear.
Eibach offers a complete range of alignment kits which offer a simple, affordable solution to adjust "negative camber." These alignment kits not only assist in adjusting a vehicle's camber back to factory specifications but they also allow the experienced chassis tuner to utilize the increased adjustment range to "dial-in" a performance alignment that uses negative camber to maximize a chassis' potential. Turn-in becomes more precise and handling increasingly crisp and predictable. High-speed stability is also enhanced making an alignment kit from Eibach almost a necessity for the serious performance tuner.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:22 PM
mxs
HCF Member

and they are trying to get you to buy their kit. read it again, they even say at the end "almost a necessity."

I certainly believe they have a purpose, but they are not a necessity for a 1.8" drop

Old 10-27-2007, 10:31 PM
HCF Member

Well, I guess it's only a necessity if you want your tires to wear evenly. The alignment shop owner told me that most of the "extreme"-type lowering springs he's installed required a "kit". I'll be having the "moderate" lowering springs (Eibach) installed in a couple of weeks. With only 1.5-inches of drop, no kit should be required.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:15 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: conceptualpolymer

Well, I guess it's only a necessity if you want your tires to wear evenly.
This isn't true and I don't know why nobody ever believes me when I say this. TOE wrecks your tires, not camber; toe can be adjusted on our cars from the factory.

Link from the stickies in this forum: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/httech/Ya...num=1162587420
I have had over a dozen hondas, all lowered, and most lowered past 2". I have never had a camber kit on ANY of my cars. The ONLY car that I had a problem with tires with was my 94 accord which I had never aligned. Go figure.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:39 PM
HCF Member

The type of wear from lowring without changing the camber will likely be excessive wear on the insides of the tires - something most people don't notice until it's too late. I find it hard to believe that the factory camber setting can allow for a 2-inch drop. All the Civics I see on the road with an extreme drop have tires that are obviously camber-challenged. (top of tire is tilted toward the center of the car)

Quick Reply: do i need a camber kit???