Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Do I need to get anything else for shocks/struts/springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:29 AM
HCF Member
Default Do I need to get anything else for shocks/struts/springs?

I am looking at kyb shocks/struts and H&R springs, will be about $500 total. Would you recommend anything else for this setup? It's a daily driver, just want something that handles better, isn't too stiff, and lowers my car some.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Do I need to get anything else for shocks/struts/springs?

You may want to consider a camber kit to adjust the camber of your wheels back to stock. With a mild drop, an alignment and regular tire rotation you won't have major camber wear though.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:28 AM
HCF Member

I found skunk2 front/rear camber kit bundle. It has their best front camber kit with polyurethane bushings for $360 shipped, good deal?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Waste of money in my opinion.

If you live in an area with road salt, be prepared to have to cut/replace your rear shock bolts.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

what's a waste of money, a camber kit or the kyb/h&r suspension?

Old 04-11-2008, 10:27 AM
mxs
HCF Member

camber kit is a waste of money. How much do the springs drop your car, 2 inches maybe? You'll be fine, just get an alignment. Read the "useful suspension information" sticky for more...

Old 04-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya for my stech springs ruffly 2inch drop i just used 2-3 washers behind the rear upper arm which gave me pretty close to stock camber in the rear and the front wasnt really needed, only my passenger side was out of spec by like 0.1 which is nothing to worry about!

just rotate your tires regularly and it wont be any problem!

just be prepared if you do the work yourself for the rear lower control arm to be seized up... you might luck out, but chances are high youll have a problem.... wish ya luck!
but other than the springs/struts, posible strut bushing if they are seized and need to be cut, and just a alignment.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:52 AM
Super Cereal Admin

yeah, I'd recommend going to a dealership right now and getting new rear LCA bolts and new rear shock-mount bolts. Maybe even get new bushings to match those bolts (perfect opportunity to switch to polyurethane bushings maybe?)... bolts and bushings (if you get poly bushings) will be somewhere around an extra $100 I believe (but its' been a while since I lowered my car)

Old 04-12-2008, 05:56 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

yeah, I'd recommend going to a dealership right now and getting new rear LCA bolts and new rear shock-mount bolts. Maybe even get new bushings to match those bolts (perfect opportunity to switch to polyurethane bushings maybe?)... bolts and bushings (if you get poly bushings) will be somewhere around an extra $100 I believe (but its' been a while since I lowered my car)
OK I don't know how everything goes together, but if the camber kit comes with bushings, are those the same ones that go with the mount bolts? Or are they completely different?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I believe they're different (not having dealt with camber kits, I don't know exactly what they come with). But mxs is right, you don't need a camber kit. Toe is what kills your tires when you lower your car... get an alignment after you lower it and have the toe set back to factory specs and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Do I need to get anything else for shocks/struts/springs?