Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Does this make sense? (Allignment issue)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Default Does this make sense? (Allignment issue)

So before I had my cars allignment done my wheels were kind of like this / \ slightly tho, you couldn't tell unless you knew what to look for. So even before my allignment my car would never pull to any side, it stayed straight. My front inside tires were balding though so I bought some new ones, even with 2 new front tires my car still went straight (2 new tires in the front, 2 old in the rear) no allignment. Yesterday I had my cars allignment done because I didn't want my tires to wear quicker. After it was done my I noticed my car pulling to the right, I took it back today to get it checked and whatever he did made it a tiny bit better but not much. He told me because my old rear tires weren't alligned and now that they are its conflicting with the new proper allignment of the new fronts and old rears. Did that make any sense? Did what he tell me hold any truth.

I'm not really one to question peoples work but after reading in tuner mags of how shops are trying to get you in and out @ record time to keep maximum profit and maybe not double checking their work, and how the guy wanted me to charge me 40$ to put on some brake pads that I had sitting in my car, (which takes 15 mins?) I question these guys work. I just find it wierd that without an allignment and with new front tires my car didn't pull in any direction, but now with this allignment with new front tires and old rears it pulls to the right. He told me to let my fronts wear for a couple thousand miles then bring it back to him.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Does this make sense? (Allignment issue)

Nothing on this still? It's really bothering me t_t annoance..

Old 12-07-2006, 01:48 PM

sounds like u need a camber kit.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 PM

Thanks civicxracer I was thinking the same thing but wasn't to sure, I have eibach pro kit and the front is supposed to be dropped 1.5in compared to the 1.3in in the rear. And from what I hear you can usually get away with 1.5 w/o camber but thats pushing itt. However, I'm not sure if the person who did the install on my springs knew of the size differnce and maybe they are set incorrectly (height wise) is that even possible? Also even if they were put on wrong I still never pulled to the right until after this allignment.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:24 PM
HCF Member

Couple things come to mind. Your rears might be fighting your fronts, but you say thats not possible. Maybe try swapping your fronts side to side, see if that makes any difference. As well, you might want to get a 2nd shop to check your alignment. If you don't trust the shop go elsewhere. I may drive a stocker, but I know that when I take mine to the shop only the work I asked for will be done, no extra labor or parts installed without them calling me first. Mechanically, I'm not sure, but the guy who told you to let your tires wear in for a few thousand is smoking crack

Old 12-08-2006, 08:52 PM

You mean rotate my tires or rotate my springs all together? If my shocks were installed wrong I think I would have had pulling from the getgo even before the allignment. I don't know what this guy is talking about aswell. I may goto another allignment place but I don't want them to charge me just to look at it. This is why I need to pick up some aut mechanic skills, I know theres good workers out there but I just get paranoid and don't trust people to do work correctly, if it doesn't concern them they probably don't care to much

Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 PM

did they align the rear tires? it sounds like they only aligned the front end. your rear alignment could be off and it is fighting the front end. a camber issue would not make you car pull to either side.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 PM
HCF Member

so you dropped? any suspension mods? an previous accident would make the different. I crash my front end, car pulling right 1%, cuz i did suspension damage.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

Phishy, I was talkin about swapping front tires side to side (unless of course you're running directional tires) and see if that makes a difference. if it does you know its in the front tires. Swap em back and then switch the rears side to side and try again. Personally I think that the alignment shop either screwed up, or only did a front alignment (as stated above). One other thing I've heard to do is get the alignment settings "balanced" or the same on both sides. Meaning that if your toe-in setting is a total of .5" (to use a random number) that each front tire will have .25" toe, instead of one side having .45" and the other side .05" . THis may be picky but its something I came across on some autoX site I surfed through

Old 12-11-2006, 06:29 PM

Ya I do have suspension mods, Eibach Pro Kit. I'm going to take it to another shop and see if they will look at it for me. I'm also going to try the tire rotation a try. Jeez I really gotta buy some jackstands so I can do some of the simple stuff in my garage

Quick Reply: Does this make sense? (Allignment issue)