Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Drilled over Blanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Default Drilled over Blanks

I know this may sound absurd to some but for a while now I've been wanting to put drilled front brakes on my Civic. I know drilled brakes have a bad rep and have put that idea aside based on my research. But what really revives this interest again is that newer Mercedes (c350) come with drilled front brakes. If they were so bad as I've come to read, why would a high end luxury car come stock with that?

I understand that they have far more horsepower/ torque over a 6th gen civic but honestly, most of the people driving them would drive like any other person.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:47 PM
HCF Member

I think drilled rotors have probably gotten better over the years due to improved manufacturing and more precise drilling. They're great at dissipating heat, but it's the heat in the brakes that makes them crack due to the thinner surface area between holes, and it's usually a something like a hole that's microscopically closer to another that makes a weak spot and eventually a crack.

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the drilled rotors you see these days on high-end cars are usually pretty thick and large in diameter, which helps handle the heat dispersion a lot better. They may also be using something like a ceramic pad, rather than a metallic one, to help with heat buildup. It's also on a car that outweighs your Civic by about 1500lbs or more.

If you're driving a street-driven car, drilled rotors aren't much of a help because you typically don't build up enough consistent heat to make them worthwhile (like you would if you were lapping a road course where you're standing on the brakes at frequent intervals). On a light car like your Civic, even a full-depth blank vented rotor would probably be fine on a track (a lot of my Miata friends use them on their race cars). If you're planning to do autocross, the drilled rotors may even throw you into a Prepared class with purpose-built race cars.

Plus, the drilled areas mean less surface area for your brake pads to use to stop you.

But if you want them for the look, I'd get something reputable like the Brembo replacements for your Honda (usually available at any auto parts stores - not a "big brake" kit).

Old 04-22-2012, 05:38 PM

+1.

First of all, there is really no reason at all to need drilled rotors on a Civic. Even for your average ocassional track or autox car. There are some real great brake pads out there that handle heat extremely well.

IF you really want drilled rotors, which at that point should really just be for looks, buy from a reputable brand. Anything less and your chances go way up for running into issues. And that is one part on your car you REALLY do NOT want to fail. I've heard of some bad stories of rotors exploding and well, one of them the guy died (not sure what type he had but regardless, you need something good in there).

Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 AM

Thanks, I honestly thought that they may have had an overlooked advantage but I guess not. I wouldn't be doing it for looks since they would be behind steelies. Lol.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:04 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by stan24
Thanks, I honestly thought that they may have had an overlooked advantage but I guess not. I wouldn't be doing it for looks since they would be behind steelies. Lol.

Purely speculation:

I would imagine that getting rims that let your brakes breath better would help them a lot more than holes in the rotor. If you are looking to improve brakes.