Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Dropping the Car Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:42 PM
HCF Member
Default Dropping the Car Help

I was hoping to lower my car, roughly 1"-2" yet still have a smooth ride.

I was looking at the Tein S.Tech Springs, which looked good and for about 156$ ebay price

Anybody know if i should get them? And whats with coilover kits? is it better?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:23 AM
HCF Member

Check out this post it has alot of information https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=54096

Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Chubby Chaser

tien's are good springs but the ones in your pic aint for a civic...

Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Tein S-Techs with something like Tokico HPs will do fine for a 2" drop while keeping the ride quality somewhat comfortable.

Coilovers are adjustable springs; they have a sleeve that the spring perch threads onto. You can raise and lower the car by moving where the perch sits on the sleeve. Generally, the four reasons to get coilovers are lowering springs are if you want to change ride height (ie, raising the car up for winter and lowering it in the spring), the ability to fine-tune ride height, the ability to slam cars (my civic was 3.5" from the ground to the frame rails on coilovers), and for people that want to autocross or road race (though a good spring and strut combo will work every bit as well as coilovers).

Old 09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by roadliner
Check out this post it has alot of information https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=54096
Thanks roadliner, i already saw that lol.

Oh, well it was just a reference photo 94HB. haha sorry.
And i was hoping to buy the tein s.tech springs and keep the stock shocks, until i get more money, would that still be good?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Super Cereal Admin

You should be fine (the S-Techs are technically made for the stock shocks), but being lowering springs, they will wear out the stock shocks faster than the OEM springs. Really, the biggest reason we recommend doing springs and shocks at the same time is simply because you only have to take the suspension apart once that way.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
HCF Member

Ah, i see rather then twice. Hmm, so if i purchased the Tein S.Tech Springs & Tokico HPs at the same time i'll save my time without having to install them twice, i get it.

Is there anyother Shocks that are better?Cheaper?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Super Cereal Admin

HPs are about the cheapest I'd go personally. KYB GR2's might be a little bit cheaper (just as good), but I honestly don't know how the prices compare.

And yeah, it saves you a bit of time (around 4 hours), as well as getting a second alignment. If you're willing to pull the suspension apart twice, I see no reason to wait until you can afford struts, but it does save time. Not to mention you already have to disassemble the strut/spring when you change the springs.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM
HCF Member

alrit, great thanks for that reaper. I'll def. get both then.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Super Cereal Admin

No problem. If you're buying off eBay, make sure the parts aren't knock-offs. You can usually find the HP's (also called Tokico Blues) and S-techs packaged together for a decent price on eBay, though.

Quick Reply: Dropping the Car Help