Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Ebay rear lower tie problem - wrong size?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:57 PM
HCF Member
Default Ebay rear lower tie problem - wrong size?

Bought the 60 dollar 4 piece ebay strut bar kit for my 1996 HX (the one that is aluminum in make and appearance).

Tops installed no problem, but problems with the front and rear lower fitment:

I guesstimated (lost my measuring tape yesterday somehow after finishing up my suspension in the dark) about 21" between the two LCA bolts, but the strut bar from tip to tip they sent me is a little over 22"!! And that is not counting the brackets. It has got to be the wrong size, or am I missing something?

If someone could measure either how long their rear lower tie bar is from tip to tip,
and/or the distance b/t the 2 LCA bolts I'd appreciate it.

Kinda ticked at this dude b/c the front lower doesnt fit either. The holes are way too small to fit the front LCA bolts through, and I really dont want to go out and buy yet another bit for such a seemingly easy piece for them to make.

thanks

Old 05-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Default RE: Ebay rear lower tie problem - wrong size?

dont measure, just get under there and adjust the bar so it fits properly. u sure ur using the right bolts for the front bar?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

100% positive I am trying to bolt it to the right bolts. I even double-checked on here:

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_57197/tm.htm

And on that one pic w/ the lower rear tie bar, it looks a LOT shorter than mine. Mine, even adjusted all the way in, is still longer than the distance between those 2 LCA bolts. Just trying to get distances/measurements (I dont know anybody w/ a civic) to double check in case I am missing something. Maybe the HX is different, but it sure doesnt look like it...

I could have drilled the front out to fit, it would have been a piece of cake compared to the suspension project I had just finished, but honestly, after dealing with snapped bolts and drilling things out for the past week after installing my suspension, I was over trips to the hardware store and spending more money on more drill bits. Esp if a product is advertised as no drill, no mod, direct bolt-on, I dont care if it is ebay, it better be what it says. Of course, I understand there are mess-ups, so its cool if this guy emails me back and either sends me a set that fits or refunds my money, I'll give him a couple of days...

Old 05-23-2007, 07:03 PM

sounds like u just got unlucky with the cheapo "ebay" bars. there really shouldnt be any modification done to the bars and esp. the body of the car to fit them.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

thanks...I think I'll post this in the general section, maybe it gets a little more traffic. Yeah, bad luck is what it sounds like though. oh well...

Old 05-24-2007, 03:00 PM
HCF Member

ur problem is that u got it off ebay, lol. i never use ebay

Old 05-25-2007, 07:17 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

sounds like u just got unlucky with the cheapo "ebay" bars. there really shouldnt be any modification done to the bars and esp. the body of the car to fit them.
I've heard a lot of people say they had to drill the holes out to get it to fit. you get what you pay for...
that one bar isn't going to do a whole lot for you anyway

Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I know it probably wouldnt do much anyway, so thats why I just left it uninstalled. True, I could drill it out but seller shouldnt claim something that is not true. I know ebay, buyer beware, but I really just want to get my money back. I'm being generous about this guy responding, but if he doesnt (which he hasnt) then I'm gonna call him out so yall dont get ripped off.

I would rarely buy something off ebay too, but I've got some good deals from time to time...del sol seats - black w/ the gray stripe for only $120!!!, jeep hardtop, soft doors, things like that. Never would buy engine stuff off there. A lot of people on here said they liked the ebay strut bar set, so I figured for 60 bucks why not.

thanks anyways