Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Ebay strut bars, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
HCF Member
Default Ebay strut bars, worth it?

OKAY before I get bombarded with the usual you get what you pay before, I want some CONSTRUCTIVE opinions here. There's a lot of 4 pc strut/tie bar deals floatin around on ebay, here's one for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Front...Q5fAccessories

Now looking at those and brand name ones honestly they don't seem like there's much difference, and yes I'm expecting the whole research and development comments so please refrain from those. SO assuming fitment is fine, does it really matter on brand? I've been researching this stuff and there is some arguement of whether the strut/tie bars even make that much of a noticeable difference. But I mean for $40, even if they don't do much, it would still be a nice mod that looks good. Please don't tell me not to waste my money either, because honestly $40 is nothing and I don't consider it a waste for something that'll look good. Thanks for any help you have and if you don't have anything helpful to say and would rather rip on ebay stuff don't waste your time...

P.S. I Love ebay stuff if you guys haven't noticed from my threads, everything I get is most likely through ebay.

P.P.S. Ordering my GReddy Evo2 this week and buying purple paint for my VC that I am going to do in 2 weeks

-Scott

Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Super Cereal Admin

If you buy them, you're only buying them for looks. 2-point braces tie the strut towers together, but don't stop them from doing anything; now they're just flexing as one piece. If you actually want to decrease body roll, look into a 3-point brace for the front and a 4-piece X-brace for the rear. But if you just want them for looks, no, brand doesn't matter (unless you need the uber-jdm ASR/Beaks/Benen/etc logo).

Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

Ha brand name stickers don't make me want to spend 5x as much. So now is it worth putting on the lowers?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I don't know how much good they actually do, but I don't see them being enough of a PITA to not be worth installing if you already have them (which if you order something like what you linked to, you will).

Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Chubby Chaser

ive used ebay strut bars they work good, just be careful when tightening them they can strip threads easy. i think lowers arent really worth it in my opinion, i mean you arent racing on a track so there really isnt a need to speed alot of $$ in something you arent gonna use, uppers are nice they help and they make it look good.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

Alright I think I might just buy the whole pack offer thing and just toss the lowers aside, maybe sell em to some dumba** on craigs and get some decent money outta em... to put the tie bar in the rear I'll have to cut the cartpet, right? I would go and look right now but its like 10:30 and I don't feel like going outside.... I am lazy

Old 10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Yeah, I believe you'll have to cut the carpet. Some cars have little door cut-outs to access the struts through, but I can't remember if EG/EKs did or not.

And like I said, if you already have the lower braces, I'd just throw 'em on just to do it. It's not going to hurt performance, and I doubt they're that much of a PITA to install. Besides, rear lower braces look sexy lol

Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

Yea we'll see, I am going to lower my car next spring (don't want my car to be a snow plow through winter) so I'll probably just put some new LCA's in at the same time, so with those and the brace my car will look shmexy from behind

Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM

I would not recommend going with eBay bars for bars with more than 2 mounting points. Just my experience, but the H-brace I got from danomatic93, which he got from eBay and never installed, fit like ****.

I would get a nice brand regardless. You can usually find passwordjdm bars for sale on honda-tech marketplace for relatively inexpensive.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Chubby Chaser

that was a under carriage H brace you got, we are talking about upper strut bars, they are ok from ebay its adjustable, as where the H brace you got isnt.

Quick Reply: Ebay strut bars, worth it?