Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

first time doing brakes, hints and tips welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
HCF Member
Default first time doing brakes, hints and tips welcome

my new pads and rotors are coming Saturday so I'll be changing those myself for the first time ever. I bought some brake grease and brake cleaner.... this is all I should need besides wrenches and what not correct?

1) Are the rotors just a simple unbolt and bolt on?

2) And are the pads just a simple take old ones out, grease the back of the new ones and put it back together? how much grease should I put on the back of the pads?

3) on what and at what point in the process should I, if at all, use the brake cleaner? once i get my old rotors and pads off should i just spray in that general area, like spray the calipers and what the rotors get attached to? and is it important that if i spray it that I wipe down everything good or will it drip/dry itself off quickly?

lots of questions i know, but any help is much appreciated

Old 01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Default RE: first time doing brakes, hints and tips welcome

1) Are the rotors just a simple unbolt and bolt on?

take the wheel off, there may be 2 screws on the rotor like right inbetween the studs. take those screws out and the rotor can come off. wack the rotor with a hammer if its a little stubborn. sand the plate the studs are attached to a little bit so its smooth. place new rotor on. u dont have to reuse those screws if u dont want to.

2) And are the pads just a simple take old ones out, grease the back of the new ones and put it back together? how much grease should I put on the back of the pads?

yeah pretty much. if the pads u bought came with new shims for the caliper bracket, use them. smear that anti-squeal grease around the edge of the backing plate on the pad where it comes in contact with the bracket. just a thin layer of grease will do.

3) on what and at what point in the process should I, if at all, use the brake cleaner? once i get my old rotors and pads off should i just spray in that general area, like spray the calipers and what the rotors get attached to? and is it important that if i spray it that I wipe down everything good or will it drip/dry itself off quickly?

u spray brake cleaner on the caliper/rotor before removal to clean off brake dust so when u start removing bolts and moving stuff around it dosnt get blown in ur face and whatnot. if u spray the calipers, just spray it before u remove the old pads and wipe till dry enough to handle. no need to spray the brake parts after the new parts have been installed.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

thank you sir

Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 PM

I would recommend taking your rotors is for shaving. It will eliminate any chance of squeeling.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:02 AM
HCF Member

before you put the new rotors on spray them down and wipe them with brake clean to get the thin lair of oil off.also you will need a c-clamp,big channelocks, or a tool to push in the caliper.if its your first time then i recommend doing one side at a time.dont forget so grease the slides on the bracket

Old 01-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Administrator

you may want to bleed the brake lines. thats probably a good idea. you will need 2 people.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:54 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: WipLash

before you put the new rotors on spray them down and wipe them with brake clean to get the thin lair of oil off.also you will need a c-clamp,big channelocks, or a tool to push in the caliper.if its your first time then i recommend doing one side at a time.dont forget so grease the slides on the bracket
oh yea I have c-clamps, grease the slides on the bracket? not sure what you are talking about. maybe I'll see once I get in there and check things out, but if you could explain that I'td be appreciated. thanks