Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Full Suspension Change Quesions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Default Full Suspension Change Quesions

Hi, I have a 94 Civic with all the original suspension and new 17" wheels. I want to lower the car but also get all new suspension. I guess I should be okay dropping it a little. Do all you guys have 16" wheels? Also, I want to get new everything regarding the suspension, so what do I need? Coilovers, both rear and front control arms, and those little camber toes and camber arms? Is that it? Also, what are some good brands, I see that coilovers are lots of $, so I thought I'd go with Skunk2 pros ($750 CAD). I saw the brands TSUDO for the camber arms and ksport, dropzone also. Let me know, thanks.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Full Suspension Change Quesions

How low are you dropping your car? skunk 2 is ok.. try to get ground controls i heard good things about em.. mind you i have skunk2 and im still waiting for a warm weather to install it. I bought only the sleeves coz i want to go with tociko aluminas(adjustables) for my shocks. A lot of people say in here that you need a camber kit if you go more than 1.5" ... if you want the real thing.. go with tein!

Old 04-07-2007, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

thats what i was looking into getting myself but instead i spent a little more and got koni yellow shocks and struts with ground control coilovers. $850 shipped. this is a very good setup you might want to look into. also, as far as a camber kit, i would get one but some people dont like them. if you do, go with skunk2. as far as other suspension stuff, you could get a strut, tie, and sway bar, and some new lower control arms. --but all that is a good bit more $$$

Old 04-07-2007, 05:02 PM
mxs
HCF Member

yeah, the Konis are great shocks.

You don't need to buy coilovers, you can just get some good name-brand shocks, and some good name-brand lowering springs. Camber kits are unnecessary especially since you say you only want to drop it "a little."

Your best bet would be to replace all the bushings, the 13 year old rubber is probably shot by now. The install is a pain but it's worth it! I wouldn't replace the control arms unless you want to do it just to get the new bushings.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:58 PM

Alright thanks guys and girls. One other thing, how much do people drop a civic with 17" wheels on it? Im sure thats been asked before.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:20 PM

So, after a little web surfing I have another question. i can buy lowering springs $250 and then buy shocks $250...thats 500. or buy coilevers for 750?? I dont get it, what the difference, why dont i just piece together socks and springs for 500 bucks?

Old 04-07-2007, 11:19 PM
mxs
HCF Member

because the coilovers are height adjustable (among other things -- depending what you buy)

Old 04-07-2007, 11:38 PM
HCF Member

just to reply to your question about 16" rims, for 5th and 6th gen Civics, with 17"s the ride comfort willl suffer alot and they will look pretty big, 16"s look good and are a good balance between comfort and perfroamance, and some people have 15"s which wont feel much different from your stock wheels but you will get some increased perforamnce. No matter what rims you get, you should drop your car a little bit, i'm gonna go with Forty on this one and say Hondas look a little odd at stock height.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:49 PM

I have a question to springboard off of this topic.I have a 94 civic ex. I just bought tein springs to lower 1.8 inches and kyb gr2 shocks. I want to buy a set of 17". Will I be ok with clearence or should I look for 16". Also, what do I need to install these new parts I got. (bushings, special tools) Are there any tips you guys can give me before I get started? Thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 09:32 AM

I have a question related to this.

I wanted to get Tein S Tech with Tokico HP or Illumina. But i heard people saying they didnt get the desired drop with Tein S Tech and Tokico HP. Can the shocks actually affect the height of the suspension ?

What's the reliability of the Tokico Illmuina ? I don't really like the fact that you can actually adjust the ride comfort, imo, when something is built, it's built for a purpose not multi purpose. Would it be a better idea to get Koni Yellow or actually, get Coilover like Tein SS Damper and be done with it ?

cncivic

Quick Reply: Full Suspension Change Quesions