Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Funny Tire SOund

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Default Funny Tire SOund

Hi all! I'm new to this group. Perhaps someone can give me some insite. I have a 2000 Civic Si with 150K on it. lately I noticed that when I'm driving at moderate speeds on the highway my rear tires sound like a plane engine whining. Perhaps i've spent too much time on planes lately but i'm wondering if this is symptomatic of a suspension problem.I took car to get aligned a couple months back and they told me that they couldn't adjust one of the rear wheels due to a missing component (bushingI think). I guess i'm looking for confirmation that this is related. Car has passed inspection since wheel alignment observation (where struts were specifically checked).

Second question: I recently had front struts done on car (prior to inspection) andI still notice a slamming sound whenI hit bumps.I expected it to go away with new struts. Any insiteinto this as well is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:41 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Funny Tire SOund

What kind of tires do you have and how many miles are on them? A worn wheel bearing can also make a high-pitched noise.

Regarding the slamming sound, the only way to know for sure is to put the car on a lift and check out the suspension components thoroughly. It's hard to guess when it comes to suspension noises.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:29 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Your wheel bearings could be going out. My '94 for with 103xxx miles needs them replaced on both back wheels pretty badly.

And I have no clue on the sound. Suspension sounds are borderline impossible to diagnose. My car makes a clunk sound when I hit bumps, but that's because I don't have the rubber pieces that go between the spring and tophat (I threw them away when I put my Ground Controls on, then I took the GC's off to prep my car to sell, and now I've decided to keep the car, so the GC's are going back on... you've gotta love indecisiveness lol)

Old 01-01-2008, 08:14 AM

You can normally tell if it is tyre noise, as it will change on different road surfaces..
I do not know your model, but all Hondas I have worked on do not have replaceable rear wheel bearings...
the hub is the bearing... the hub must be replaced complete.. they sing loudly when faulty..
[align=left] [/align]