Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

good tires from tire rack for autox

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:40 AM
HCF Member
Default good tires from tire rack for autox

im going to get some tires and rims from tirerack cause that was the only company that can get them to me by this coming friday, not exactly sure what rim yet but going to get a 15" for sure. need some advice on what tires to get from them cause i dont know much about which ones are better. im going to be driving the car to the races, race and drive home on them but then take them off. i figure they will last alot longer this way, most of the rims are 6.5 and i was reading that some people do 215/50/15 but they only have one tire under that but they have alot more under 205/50/15 which some others were saying they had so i think thats good right?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...er=15&x=66&y=8

if i got anything wrong or you got any advice for me great, thanks

Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Chubby Chaser
Old 06-05-2010, 11:24 AM

When you say "races", what kind of racing do you mean? Is this going to be a race only setup? Or are you looking to drive on the street all the time and deal with seasons? What's your price range. It's not just as simple as look at sizes and decide.

Edit: just read the title(didn't see the whole thing, on Iphone). Definitly do NOT get those BFGoodrich tires, those are for drag racing and I'm sure have a soft sidewall(would not be pretty, potentially dangerous in autox). I personally run the Bridgestone RE-11's, they are amazing tires. If they are a bit too steep in price for you, the next best would be the Dunlop Star Specs. Just as good, in SOME cases better than the Bridgestones but a little cheaper. The wider the better sometimes, the 205 Bridgestones work great. They are actually pretty wide for a 205 size.

Last edited by civicexracer; 06-05-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 AM
HCF Member

civicexracer i was reading some review on the re-11's and people are going back and forth on how good the tread life is with these tires and was wondering what life you have gotten out of this tires. the autocross im doing is short, only about 1 min laps and do 8 a day. just wanna make sure i get my moneys worth, rather spend a little more to have something that will last, thanks for the info

Old 06-06-2010, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

Just bought myself some Kuhmo XS's in 205/50 15, most people in my region that run in the Street classes run these. Supposed to last a whole season. R-comps are a lot better but more expensive and Street classes don't allow them. Lot of ppl use these rims I hear they are pretty light. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...t+Silver+Paint
Also my region of racing is home to a few national champs and they advised me not to go beyond the 205 width on a civic.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 PM

It's very hard to determine tire life for any of these types of tires. It all depends on if they are driven daily, only driven to/from events, or only at events. I've had my BStones since the beginning of last season and I did about 25 events on them. I am still running on them this season and I've done about 10 events(on them) so far. Currently they are sitting at 5/32nds(about half life). That's pretty damn good IMO. Reason they have lasted this long is because I only use them to and from events(have another set of daily wheels/tires). I also measure tread depth and rotate the tires occasionally.

If rotated regularly and taken care of, I can see them daily driven and autoxed for up to a year and a half(again depending of miles driven daily and number of events).

The Kumho XS are also great and for even cheaper. We run those on the RSX-S in my signature. Great tires for the price. I agree of 205 being about as wide as you'd want to go on a civic due to lack of power and our cars are light. Although IIRC, I believe a lot of spec civics ran(or atleast used to) like a 215/45R16 size tire. But, I'd stick with a 205, plenty of grip, lighter and easier to get moving with our no tq motors..

Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

i went ahead and got some 15" sparco rims and the re-11's. doing autocross this sunday so ill let you know what i think but i have never had any real performance tires so nothing to compare them to, thanks for your input and info, what pressure do you usually run those tires on for racing, driving a 2000 hatch dx with b18c and koni yellows with ground control coilovers

Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 PM

What spring rates do you have?

Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 PM
HCF Member

Hmm I use 42/36 on my 912's haven't gotten out the Kuhmos yet tho lol Idk if I'll run those different

Old 06-11-2010, 04:43 AM
HCF Member

If I can remember off the top of my head I think it was 320 front and 350 rear, didn't wanna get them to stiff for normal driving

Quick Reply: good tires from tire rack for autox