Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Grinding noise occurs only once in each journey - within 1st few meters of moving car

Old 11-25-2008, 11:36 PM
vdb
Default Grinding noise occurs only once in each journey - within 1st few meters of moving car

Hi -

I bought a used 1998 Honda Civic Ex 2 Dr Coupe recently. I have observed that in each journey of the car there is a grinding noise which comes within the 1st few meters of moving the car (front or back). And, the noise comes only once and after that everything fine, however long i drive (no noises after that). Could anyone pls help me on what it could be. I am taking it to a mechanic anyway. While talking most mechanics seem to point to the struts or brakes.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 AM
vdb
Default Anyone there ...

Hi There -

Could anyone help me on this, did not see any replies.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by vdb
Hi -

I bought a used 1998 Honda Civic Ex 2 Dr Coupe recently. I have observed that in each journey of the car there is a grinding noise which comes within the 1st few meters of moving the car (front or back). And, the noise comes only once and after that everything fine, however long i drive (no noises after that). Could anyone pls help me on what it could be. I am taking it to a mechanic anyway. While talking most mechanics seem to point to the struts or brakes.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 PM
HCF Member

is a grinding coming from the front of the car or the rear??

Old 11-26-2008, 03:18 PM
HCF Member

we are going to need lots of details. front or back. kind of sound. ya know, just little things. it sounds odd though, only when you first start. but ya a few more details woulds really help.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:18 PM
HCF Member

dose the grinding sound similar to the ABS system when it is active? if so I also get that sound, it usually happens once the car gets over about 10-20km/h?

I have no idea what it is but everything still works fine on my car and its been doing that for over a year.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 PM

It is probably the ABS system pulsating to perform a self-test.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 AM
vdb

HI All -

Thanks to all of you for replying. I will answer to all your questions.

- The sound comes from the front
- it comes after I have moved about 20 feet if I move slowly. if I accelerate fast it comes in the first 5 to 10 feet.
- so yes, it could be happening just when I cross 10 miles/hr
- I do not know how the abs sounds and feels, so I cannot tell if it is the abs. I did read on another forum though that one another person had a similar situation and the dealer just concluded that it should be the abs initializiing. But then is this a sign that the abs is having some probs

I had been to a mechanic and he suggested that I change the front brakes. They are about 15-20% left and he also said that he would service the front brakes by doing something on the rotor which should flatten the surface he said. But he says he is not 100% sure if this will solve the noise issue (he says it should but will have to see). He was also not sure if the current brakes are from Honda, he feels it could be after-market (I did not put them on); so he would like to eliminate the brakes being a problem first. But then I was not sure if I have to pay $220 and still have the problem, so not yet decided to change the front brakes. Apparently front brakes should come for another 8000 - 10000 miles.

Thanks Guys...does this help anyone to provide any kind of direction to me.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:05 AM

might be hard to pin point the problem without actually hearing or seeing it. could be something with the brakes but could also be a wheel bearing, axles, transmission..

does the noise occur in the morning when first applying the brakes? does the noise occur everytime u accelerate from a stop? does it occur when turning? do u feel anything in the car when the noise happens(vibrations or anything like that)?

Last edited by civicexracer; 11-27-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:36 AM
vdb

No, this does not happen each time i accelerate or turn. It happens only once in each journey. I do not feel any vibration, just a grinding kind of noise from front. As if from brakes, but then at that point of time I would not have applied any brakes. For e.g. I start my car to go to mall (no sounds), I reverse from parking (no sound), I start moving slowly from my apartment parking, the sound comes after I have moved a little.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 AM

something it could be is the dust shield. if the brake dust shield is slightly bent, it could scrape against the rotor and cause a scretching/grinding type noise. if thats the case, just bend the shield back a little so it dosnt touch any moving parts. just an idea, i don't see anything else that could be so inconsistant other than maybe just surface rust built up on the rotors if the car has been sitting for a good amount of time(like over night).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding noise occurs only once in each journey - within 1st few meters of moving car